[3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:02:14 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: SO CW HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  847    81
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  847    81  Total Score = 274,752

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

Yea, there weren't any great rates to be had, but these kind of conditions are
why I like this contest and ten meters in general. Every conceivable propagation
mode was apparent over the course of the weekend. My highest rates came at 2000Z
both days with a 119 on Sunday (four hours before the end) being my best of the
contest. That's a great rate for sweepstakes, but ....

There were steep drop offs on both sides of 2000Z. I show that good "sorta"
solid F layer openings were about ~75 minutes in duration from here in the cold
north of Montana. After these openings the contest returned to the corner pocket
qso party with the only loud signals coming from FL, TX, and some CA.

Only worked on JA. I think I heard 7S2E, but never did get him. Only missed NU,
NWT, YT, and AK in North America with multiple q's with all states/provinces
except: DC, NE, PEI, NF, and LB each with one contact in the log.

QSOs were 95% NA (801/847) with 31 SA, 14 OC and 1 AS.

My son had basketball games both Firday and Sat. night so I missed ~4 hours both
nights. When I came home Saturday night I had left the rig on and I heard some
dits and dahs coming from the shack when I walked in the house around 10PM local
time. I thought they were the usual meteor pings or such and I went to the shack
and immediately worked Tom (K1KI) and as I tuned the band I had to look at the
freq display to be sure I was on 10 meters! I'm not sure how much of this double
hop E's opening I missed, but that's the way she goes. It lasted for ~15-20
minutes before the bottom dropped out.

It was nice to work 8 Montana stations on CW! It's great to see the activity
increasing from around here. I wonder how many were on SSB?

There was a great Es opening to 9 land the last 25 minutes of the contest where
I ran a string of a couple dozen WI,IL,and IN stations with a few MNs thrown
in.

With a couple dozen hours spent in this thing I had but six hours over a rate of
50 and only one over 100. Still an absolute blast!

All the best of the season to all and CU next year if not before!

Matt--K7BG

Rig(s): IC-765  /  TS-930  /  Drake L7 amp
Ants: 105BAS fixed at 100 degrees @ 65' :TH3@25' :1015DB@88' :C3XL@45' fixed at
125 degrees :5/8 wave CB vertical on top of the kids old tree house @15'