[3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:50:49 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  481    99
  SSB:  456    98
-------------------
Total:  937   197  Total Score = 557,904

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A big change as expected from last year. I felt like I was in a black hole for
 propagation into Eu at times and definitely to the Western USA/VE. There were
 about 5 strong stations from Eu 15 min. before sunrise Sunday due to a
sporadic
 E link, but as the band should have opened well, only a very few
Mediterranean
 stations were workable. Finally around 1430Z, I was able to run G, PA, ON,
OK,
 DL, but no further into Eu for about 30 minutes before they abruptly faded
out
 leaving only EA and F. Sunday afternoon was pretty punk. Ca stations were in
 the mud most of the time. Around noon loud sigs were limited to TX, NM, AZ,
 then mid afternoon WA, OR and the Rocky mtn states came thru. Saturday was
 somewhat the same to the West, but openings a bit less limited. It was a long
 time before I worked OR on both modes and when VA7LC answered a CW CQ, I
 moved hime to phone for insurance. I heard N1HRA in RI several times on each
 mode before I finally caught his attention on SSB. He was having such a hard
 time copying, that he offered to switch to CW, so we QSy'ed to 28130, then
 back to SSB for both modes. Most stations managed to hear me on backscatter
 when I called, but as usual very few answered my CQ's. The sporadic E
 Saturday evening and Sunday AM filled in a lot of missing states. The only
 states never heard were AK & ND on either mode. I heard VE5CPU on phone, but
 too weak for him to hear me. I heard a couple of SC stations on phone, but no
 QSO's. I worked DC on both modes Friday night, thanks to W3DQ. Condx just did
 not favor LP, several S7 stations on phone, never heard me thru their pileup.
 Antenna icing took hold about 19Z Sunday, which had definitely had some
detrimental effects. On a positive note, some of the non-local PVRC'ers had
butt-kicking backscatter signals, noteably N4CW, N6ZO, and NX9T. Merry Christmas
and happy holidays to all.