[3830] ARRL 10 VO2AAA(VO1AU) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VO1AU@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VO2AAA(VO1AU) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:19:50 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VO2AAA
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: VO2WL

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Labrador (LB)
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   CW:  326    80
  SSB:  279    72
-------------------
Total:  605   152  Total Score = 284,240

Club:

Comments:

First, let me thank Naz VO2NS and the Hams of Western Labrador for allowing me
to borrow the VO2WL club station.  I am especially grateful to Naz for letting
me borrow his amp, and loaning me his keyer paddle when mine was damaged in
transit.  Naz looked in on me frequently, and really made me feel very welcome
at VO2WL.

The last time I submitted a log in this contest was over twenty years ago.  By
chance and good planning, I had to travel to western Labrador around the time of
this contest, so I packed my own rig and other essentials and made arrangements
to take over VO2WL.

Like everyone else, I was disappointed in conditions.  I reckon things were just
that much worse at this northerly, inland location than they would have been if
I had been home in St John's, but if I'd been home, I would not have worked the
contest at all.

I observed F-layer, sporadic-E, auroral and scatter propagation at various
times, but none of it was really very good.  I found it hard to get runs going,
with my best hours around a measly 60 QSOs, and hard to be heard most of the
times.  Western Europe was available, weakly, the first day, but almost absent
the second.  The reverse was true for W6/W7/WØ - absent Saturday, possible with
struggle Sunday.  Neither Asia nor Oceania existed for me, nor, for that matter,
VE4/5/6, although I did hear VE4YU S&P-ing and VE6AO unable to hear me.

I still find it odd that in this contest, Labrador is a distinct multiplier from
Newfoundland, as these two places together form one single province (or previous
to that, Dominion or Colony) and have done since the year 1800.  For you Yanks,
having VO1 and VO2 as separate "provinces" is a bit like having the upper and
lower peninsulas of Michigan count as separare states.  It is nonetheless a
harmless oddity which served to make a trip to VO2 worthwhile.

I knew that no VO2 had entered this contest in many years and thought there had
been little or no casual activity from Labrador. That, combined with the allure
of Zone 2, I thought, would help make this one a more exciting event.

I was surprised though, at some of the reactions I got on air.  Most people
recognised that they were on to a rare mult when they worked me.  Others seemed
oblivious until their logging software told them I was a new mult.  Quite a
number found the abbreviation I used (LB - check the rules) wasn't recognised by
their logging software and would bleat complaints, asking me to somehow fix
their software, or (a few) suggesting not even I knew where I was.

Even with lousy conditions, I had a good time in this contest.

73,

Dave VO1AU/VO2AAA