[3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:09:09 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8.45

  160:    1              1
   80:   42              5
   40:   39              5
   20:  135              7
   15:   51              3
   10:    3              1
    6:
    2:
Total:  271     0       22         0  Total Score = 27,632

Club:

Comments:

Software: N1MM v3.0.173 (new RAC Winter Contest code worked brilliantly!)
Rig: FT920
Antennas: 80M dipole, 40M inv. vee, Spider beam 10/15/20

Great fun for an evening and a day! Only target was to beat last year's score of
21,588 and 191 Qs. Managed both, using slightly better antennas this time around
(making up a bit for declining propagation, I hope).

Should have done a bit better on 80 and 40, but realized rather late Friday
night that I had been using the ground-mounted vertical instead of the dipole
and vee antennas. Discovered the coax labelled "dipoles" and made the switch --
hearing signals jump up nicely and actually enjoying a few short runs after
that.

Had to take the minivan in for scheduled service on Saturday afternoon, so lost
3.5 hours of prime time on 15 and 10 (from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. local), but was
glad to get on for the last two hours. Made good progress in those 120 minutes
with 87 Qs.

Had 21 mults last year, and 22 this year, for a slight improvement. Didn't hear
anything east of Quebec, though, so missed some good multipliers.

Thanks to the many hams who jumped in for a few exchanges -- lots and lots of
low serial numbers right up to the end. I sure appreciated the points, and was
glad to hand out a few, too.

See you next year!

Happy new year to all and 73,

-- Bud, VA7ST