[3830] TBDC DL8MBS/P Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC DL8MBS/P Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:15:10 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: DL8MBS/P
Operator(s): DL8MBS
Station: DL8MBS/P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: JO51ma
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 94  Total Score = 436

Club:

Comments:

QTH: Hill near Erfurt, rising 50 m over plain land
Rig: IC 718 on batteries, 40-80 W
Ant: 80 m wire (up 3 - 10 m)

First try on 160m after 15 years without hamradio. After the usual family
obligations I drove to a hill near the city early night and mounted 80 m wire on
low trees and two fiberglass-poles (10m), laid out 150 m bog-wire on a muddy
field - all in darkness...
Operated from the car with paddles and paper-log, but with endurable 5 degrees
celsius outside there was no need for the really warm clothing. Storm bent the
poles down to 5 m, which didn´t improve the small DX-capability of the wire for
transmitting... It only worked fine as receiving antenna outperforming the bog.
Heard lots of W-Stations even 8/9-inlanders. Couldn´t work one, for my
battery-powered 40 to 80 watts reached only VE.

Enjoyed the contest very much. 160m seems to be the place where the grey
qrm/qrn-filter between the ears count more than programming the perfect
semi-automatic contesting-machine. Including serial numbers would make it even
more challenging.

Thanks for everyone who picked my signal out (for those who didn´t I promise to
work on antennas to get at least a "?" in the next TBDC).

73 and HNY, Chris