[3830] NAQP CW W6YX M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W6YX M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:52:29 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO,N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   78    27
   80:  209    45
   40:  396    52
   20:  298    50
   15:  306    48
   10:  381    50
-------------------
Total: 1668   272  Total Score = 453,696

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Usually we have a 3rd station set up for spotting when we operate M/2 in NAQP,
but we didn't have a 3rd operator so Mark and I both spent a lot of time tuning
the 2nd VFO on our FT1000MPs between CQs.  The contest started out well with a
239 hour (155 Q's on 10 meters, 84 Q's on 15 meters).

About 40 minutes into the second hour we started hearing strange beeping noises
which Mark determined were coming from UPS boxes connected to computers behind
the operating console.  This seemed odd but we could live with the beeps.
Apparently the UPS boxes weren't kidding since we abruptly lost power several
minutes later, just for a few seconds, but long enough to cause our logging
computers to reboot.  My computer had just sent the beginning of my name to
ZF2NT and I heard Bruce asking me to finish.  Of course the logging computers
are not on the UPS :-(

This was a bit of a momentum-killer, especially when it took 12 minutes for me
to get back on the air after impatiently causing 3 reboots when one would have
been enough.  That was the end of the power problems and I even managed to
complete the QSO with Bruce by hand while the computer was rebooting.

Activity seemed to move to lower bands faster than we really wanted to move.
The bands hadn't necessarily closed, so we just continued to CQ and hope someone
would check the band and give us a call.

We tried moving several mults but succeeded only once or twice.  Thanks to the
stations that made the attempt.  As usual we should have tried moving more
stations than we did since we missed some easy mults.  The only DX mults we
worked were KP4, XE, and ZF.  We missed KH6 on all bands but did work  UA0LKM/MM
on 160 who was in the vicinity.  We also missed several Canadian multipliers
(NF, LB, NT, NU) on all bands.  Several mults were only worked on a single band
(AK/ND/AB on 20, VT/NS/NB on 10).

We had just put up a 160 meter inverted vee on Friday and hadn't tested it
before the contest.  We worked all mults heard on 160 except K8CC, WE9V, and
K4LQ.

-Mike, N7MH