[3830] NAQP SSB K7ZSD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K7ZSD Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:51:14 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NW Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    8     5
   80:   41    19
   40:  189    39
   20:  408    55
   15:  388    50
   10:  380    42
-------------------
Total: 1414   210  Total Score = 296,940

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Team: Orygun Staight

Comments:

My first NAQP, at 10:00 am Saturday morning the gate opened and it was run, and
run, and run. The 10m run was great from here, then 15m, and then 20m. Non stop
running for hours and hours. Oh I'll take a break when the run's slow down. Well
at four in the afternoon, I decided to take a 40 minute break when the run on
twenty had slowed to less than a hundred per hour. When I returned the band was
still open, but only for another hour, with a rate around a hundred, but I
stayed until it was essentially dead. A band change to 40 came, and rate back
up, enough to keep me from moving to 80 or 160 until I had very little operating
time to play with. I had to take another forty minute break, and then stop 50
minutes before the end of the contest. Result: a good Q score short on
multipliers. Lessons: Budget the 10 hour operating time better. I should have
spent much more time on 80 and 160. Make many more band changes in the later
half of the contest. Take a look at SO2R, and read this a year from now!

It was a very enjoyable contest, no problems with equipment, and excellent
operators across the country. We assembled a team with W7EJ, W7GG, K7ZS, K7ZUM,
and me, with the name Orygun Staight to encourage the proper pronunciation of
the Beaver State name. Thanks to all!