[3830] NAQP SSB K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:45:00 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   91    31
   80:  132    44
   40:  188    41
   20:  279    45
   15:   62    20
   10:   62    16
-------------------
Total:  814   197  Total Score = 160,358

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: TCG #1 Lions

Comments:

Using "BOB" was definately the right decision.  I had
to repeat it maybe a half-dozen times, as compared to
over a hundred times with "KIRK."  I have learned my
lesson, and I will be "BOB" for every SSB NAQP from now
on.  I'll still be "KIRK" on CW and RTTY.  Bottom line
is that it made a huge difference in the number of repeats.
Phone contests involve a lot of casual "not in the contest"
QSOs.  In the past I had to repeat "Kirk" to just about
every such contact.  Not so with Bob.

QRN on the low bands was just brutal.  Even with my quasi-
Beverage receive antennas, most low bands QSOs required
a lot of work.  It was tough, to say the least.

Found yet more problems in the shack which need to be solved.
My stack reversing switch has high SWR in one position, and
I haven't been able to figure out why yet.  I also forgot
to shorten the 80m sloper to 75m, which hurt a lot. I ran
an average of 50-70 watts output, as my band pass filters
were sucking down lots of power on phone.

Glad I "went the distance" on both modes, even if my scores
were not that spectacular this year.  Hope to C U in NAQP RTTY
for the hat trick!  Is there an award for combined NAQP score
for all three modes?

73

-Kirk  K4RO