[3830] CQ160 CW N4PN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4pn@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N4PN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:19:08 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N4PN
Operator(s): N4PN
Station: N4PN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1257  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 60  Total Score = 447,882

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Must be having all sorts of senior moments...can't ever remember my own
call. It's not N4PNN....but that was pretty close...
Back to the real deal...the contest...it was really a great contest.
Condx in NW Florida were really great...only a little static from storms further
West on Saturday evening...
Added a SW beverage this year...not a whole lot of help but it was up.
Longest beverage is only about 450' long but works better than anything
else I have.

As Bill, W4ZV and others have stated, I've never had a European pileup
before but on Saturday night I must have missed a bunch and I just couldn't
sort 'em out with some many the same strenght and QSB, QRM etc....

Getting A61AJ for a brand new one made the weekend just that much sweeter.
Not working/hearing a single station from the African continent was a bummer.
I see where some worked ZS6UT but I never heard him...

Lost some valuable time/contacts on Saturday afternoon at sunset. Balun
went South or somewhere and not having another one, I had to make up a
short cable to feed the vertical direct. Thru the tuner, it worked ok.

Equipment Used: (I have given up on SO2R forever, I think. Just too much
                 like work..)

FT1000MP w/old Palomar Preamp
Tentec 465 Amp - KW

Antennas: Inverted Vee off of main tower..
          Homemade short vertical (80') linear-loaded about 150' from
          the salt water of the Gulf of Mexico. Have about 60 - 1/4 wave
          radials..
NE/SE/SW/NW - Short (real short) beverages running across the lots next
              door but they seem to work ok....using K9AY transformers.

My location is six miles off the Florida coast on St. George Island.
>From the mainland turn off on FL-300 at East Point/Apalachicola, FL
head to paradise...

Thanks for all of the contacts....which resulted in a new personal
high score for the CQ 160 contest...sorry I missed out on a lot of
stations that called that I never could pull out...those of you that
I said "pse call later"...thanks!

CU y'all next year,
73, Paul, N4PN