[3830] NA Sprint CW K5GN(@W5KU) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mccarty@hal-pc.org
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K5GN(@W5KU) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:45:55 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00
Radios: SO2R

   80:  102
   40:  150
   20:   83
---------------------

Club:

Team: Not Bad for a 5

Comments:

Good start: I was one ahead of Fisher after 5 minutes.  The rest was down
hill.

Operating in a fog this time.  Could not get the rhythm going.  Started the day
outside putting up a wire vertical for 80m to compare with the horizontal
antennas.  Then a party for the station owner, Dennis, W5KU, who is now in
Kuwait on his way to Iraq to help lead rebuilding electrical generation for the
refineries.  New line noise makes a great station seem like a little pistol.
Couldn't hear many of the backscatter guys, and both 20 and 40 had lots of
them.

Congrats to Tree for making Page 9, and to everyone else up there close to it.
Wow.

Ten-minute Tot Net  Hr  Notes
0000-0009Z  17  17      AAA 8, GN 9 at 0004Z
0010-0019   34  17
0020-0029   50  16      Someone thought I
0030-0039   68  18      was round-robin-ing
0040-0049   82  14      at 0038, but 2nd radio
0050-0059   99  17  99   Q was out of sync.
0100-0109  114  15
0110-0119  123   9      <- Yuck! That's no way
0120-0129  133  10      to keep up!
0130-0139  146  13
0140-0149  159  13
0150-0159  171  12  72  EEN up by 30
0200-0209  182  11      missed VE4YU
0210-0219  199  17      AAA up by 45
0220-0229  216  17
0230-0239  230  14
0240-0249  245  15
0250-0259  259  14  88  AAA up by 52
0300-0309  272  13
0310-0319  284  12
0320-0329  295  11
0330-0339  310  15
0340-0349  322  12      AAA up by 66
0350-0359  335  13  76

Tried the new 80m vertical a few times, but the NE line noise was so intense I
went back to the delta loop.  It seemed to work well, but hard to tell.

Spent today with one of the Centerpoint Energy RFI men, but to no avail.  It was
too windy to fix the three intermittent sources he found (that have been coming
and going for some time), though I think we would not have found them if it
weren't windy, but the new S9+ problem eluded his gear.  He's going for
different equipment next week; I hope he fixes it before ARRL CW.

Here's to a quieter September Sprint!

GN