[3830] ARRLDX CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:29:31 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 16.75

  160:    5     5
   80:   93    55
   40:  192    78
   20:  149    80
   15:  161    76
   10:   67    47
-------------------
Total:  667   341  Total Score = 681,318

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Radio:    IC-756 Pro
Antennas: G5RV at 35' (10M),  HyGain AV-640 vertical, 15M delta loop (1 el).
Software: DX4WIN 6.02, CW sent by hand

Due a a weekend of family committments, I had to cancel on KC1XX this year (the
M/M got scrubbed later due to lack of full-time operators).  I operated from
home using low power and crummy antennas; at night, in the early morning (around
dawn), and on-and-off during the day when I could squeeze in a few minutes.  I
operated low power to make band changes easier, and used packet to maximize my
score for the YCCC (and make sure I didn't miss any easy multipliers).  After
running with "big iron" at KC1XX, it was payback time by being the weak guy that
calls others.  95% of my operation was search-and-pounce, either from packet
spots or just tuning up/down the band.

I had an absolute blast, and far exceeded any minimal expectations I might have
had.  Here's the power of packet: Sunday a.m. I went downstairs to bring up some
chairs, and checked the cluster for needed spots.  Worked 12 QSOs in 11 minutes,
resulting in 11 multipliers!  And I didn't forget the chairs either!  Best
contacts were VR2BG on 40M Saturday a.m., 8Q7VV on 20M Saturday afternoon, and
9V1YC on 20M Sunday evening.  Most guys I called on 80 meters came back on the
first try.  Didn't work a single JA on 40M this time, but did work a couple on
20M and 15M. Nothing west of KH6 on 10M, and worked 160M using the 80M G5VR and
an antenna tuner, and even worked OK1AEZ!

Congrautlations to W3LPL for a super score on the downside of the sunspot
cycle.

It was nice to hear the Dominica guys using J7OJ.

73 - Jim AD1C