[3830] ARRLDX CW K4JA M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ja@k4ja.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4JA M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:12:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K4JA
Operator(s): K4JA, AJ9C, K7SV, KE9I, N4ZR, W3BP, WE9V
Station: K4JA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  192    72
   80: 1065    97
   40: 1736   122
   20: 1295   118
   15: 1568   116
   10:  925   106
-------------------
Total: 6789   631  Total Score = 12,836,433

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

WOW!!!!  While the sunspots are disappearing, this was no doubt a great contest,
although it started out a little crazy.

The day of the contest reminded me of the 2000 CQWW SSB when we installed 13
yagis the two days before the contest.  (See
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=3830&i=200010301648.LAA16953902%40www02.hway.net
for the 3830 story.)

This time, it was a 195 foot tower and two 48' boom 4 element 40M beams that we
installed the day of the contest to replace the 184' 40M tower that Tropical
Storm Isabel blew over in September.  The 197' crane arrived at 9:30am to
install the tower in two sections, the first 100', then the remaining 95',
followed by the two 40M yagis.  It took many hours longer than expected,
finishing up at 2340z, just minutes before the contest.  The entire team was
exhausted, but the first shift team quit working outside a couple hours earlier
and grabbed quick naps.  And what a gorgeous day it was... about 72 degrees and
everyone got sunburn!  I will post a picture gallery on the K4JA website with
the 100+ pictures I took in the next few days.

We all believe that the new stack is working much better than the old stack.
There just seemed to be something wrong with the old stack, so the storm blowing
over the other tower was an (expensive) blessing in disguise.

Everything worked very well all weekend, with the exception of a new problem
with one of the Acom amps.  The new 9-circle for 80M was phenominal, as well as
the low bands overall.  While 10M wasn't the best (nor 20M for that matter), the
overall picture was unbelievable.  We just can't believe all the mults on the
low bands!!  Like others who have said that this was their best score ever, this
was ours as well.  We beat our previous best score by almost 2 million, but just
500k short of K1AR's record.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, and stay tuned to k4ja.com for the tower
installation picture gallery.

73,
Chad WE9V
on behalf of Paul K4JA and crew