[3830] ARRLDX CW VP5M(K7BV) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP5M(K7BV) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:14:46 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K7BV
Station: VP5JM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:  472    56
   80:  760    58
   40: 1017    57
   20: 1273    59
   15: 1252    58
   10:  342    50
-------------------
Total: 5121   338  Total Score = 5,121,694

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Operated whole contest with only one ear - other one never recovered from the
descent on the airliner to Turks and Caicos - Yes, Virginia, I had a cold before
left and paid the big price this time.  The bad ear is still totally gone so the
search for a doctor begins tomorrow. I am sure I used up the entire island
supply of cold medicines during the course of the contest trying to stay in the
chair sick as a dog.  But, what a terrific time I had - I love CW contests and
this is. of course, basically a 48 hours SS for the DX - very cool

My friend Carl K9LA predicted that 10 meters would begin to show its low-spots
self this year and favor the guys down in P4 etc.  So, I set out to try and
really jam QSOs on the low bands to try and make up a little ground.  I am sure
that can not be completely done but the numbers for 160 and 80 were new highs
for me from any DX place in ARRL CW.  There were enough big stations on from
most states/prov that was able to hold a decent mult in spite of so few QSOs on
10m.

160 and 80 was very quiet here most of the time and it was wonderful to hear so
many friends on those bands.

Comments:
1.  I have never before heard so many Canadians! But, while the quantity was
great, we had an another challenge apparently because I never did hear
VY0,VY1,VE8,VO2. PEI was a little tough too with both stations worked unwilling
to make band QSYs.
2. ND only worked on 10m and a QSY request brought a swift NO!.  Also missed DC
on a couple bands.
3. There are still some really trashy radios out there in the hands of
contesters...

In spite of not being in top form for the contest, I had a great time being in
the mix of things again.