[3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:27:45 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 14.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:   34    33
   80:  250    69
   40:  580    82
   20:  143    83
   15:  537    80
   10:  107    64
-------------------
Total: 1651   411  Total Score = 2,035,683

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Everything started off great. I had 141 Qs the first hour (all but 5 Qs on 40m),
which I believe is the best first hour I've ever had.  The pileup calling me at
the start of the contest was like nothing I've ever experienced.

Then, about 0400, it all hit the fan.  I started getting chills and a horrendous
headache, and at about 0500 I realized I was asking for repeats on just about
every call and the exchanges too (sorry, guys).  I felt like I was already awake
for 48 hours.  I kept going as long as I could and went to bed at 0700.  At that
time, I had 713 Qs in the log, which was almost 100 more than at 0700 from my
SOA win last year. Bummer!  I had been at the dentist Friday afternoon, and
wonder if that had anything to do with it. Maybe K3WW called in for a little
professional courtesy with my dentist :.) (he's a dentist, for those of you who
didn't know)

I didn't operate at all on Saturday.  When I woke up Sunday morning I felt
mostly better, and operated most of the day except for a break in the mid
afternoon, missing the 20m EU opening, as you can see from my QSO total on that
band.  10m on Sunday was interesting.  The band was amazingly quiet, and I was
able to run EU for a while, even though most of the signals were S-2 or weaker.
My only complaint, other than my health, is the 40m op at K4JA felt the need to
throw a CQ on my frequency every 15-20 minutes during the first few hours of the
contest, to see if he could push me off.  Not a chance, pal!