[3830] ARRLDX SSB KG1E SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alexjoz@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KG1E SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:57:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KG1E
Operator(s): KG1E
Station: KG1E

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Mass
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   10    10
   80:   50    37
   40:  105    60
   20:  233    80
   15:  325    81
   10:   82    33
-------------------
Total:  805   301  Total Score = 726,915

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Checked antennas Fri aft and found 40M dipole with only one leg intact.
Since Alpha amp is dead and SB220 with no high voltage, SOAB LP was going to be
in the cards for the weekend. As the saying goes "when you're dealt lemons, make
lemonade". For whatever reason, signals we could not hear on 160 and 80 during
CQ WW SSB were LOUD, and ops could hear our LP signal.Surprised to hear so many
QRP stations running 4, 5 and 10 watts, some of whom were S-9+
Lack of European openings on 10 Mtrs led to extreme crowding on 15 and 20.
As we tuned across a dead 10 meter band, heard CT1DVV come up to an S-5,we
exchanged reports, and he faded out all in less than 30 seconds, never to
return...All in all, there were many times when sleep beckoned and we wandered
the house in a daze, but decided to keep plugging and at least be competitive.