[3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd3q@starpower.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:32:43 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   12    10
   80:   31    25
   40:   64    42
   20:  133    57
   15:  191    73
   10:   79    29
-------------------
Total:  510   236  Total Score = 361,080

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It's always fun giving out DC as a multiplier... this contest being no
exception!   On the other hand, living on a small city lot makes the low band
challenge that much greater.  To say that the 40m and 80m antennas need
improvement is an understatement.  And this time -- for the first time -- I used
the amp (Hercules II, 'only' 400 watts).

That I was able to work 7 stations (WP3R, HC8L, PJ2T, FY5KE, 8P1A, P40L, V26DX)
on all 6 bands, and another 8 on 5 bands was pretty amazing to me... although
not as amazing as working VK and KH6 on 40!

In all, it was quite a slog, but fun nonetheless.  Lots of ideas for summer
improvement projects!

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC

ant:  160 = 1/4 vertical (tx), EWE's (rcv)
 80/40 = low OCF dipole, EWE 9rcv)
 20/15/10 = F12 C3-SS on 10 ft roof tower
rig:  TT Omni 6+, TT Hercules II