[3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmiller@xtra.co.nz
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:32:47 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): ZL1AZE
Station: ZL6QH

Class: Open HP
QTH: ZL2
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
   80:   53
   40:  155
   20:  138
   15:   67
   10:   17
------------
Total:  430  Total Score = 5,670

Club: WARC

Comments:

EQUIPMENT AND ANTENNAS
FT1000MP + CT/Quickscore logging
Full size vertical for 80m
Rhombic with 200m legs for short and long paths to UK
Vee beams with 300m legs for short and long paths to North America and Europe
6 el 10m yagi beams for short path to North America and Europe

COMMENT:
I was planning to improve on last year's effort and beat the ZL record score of
8062 set by Bob G3PJT in 2002. However it was not meant to be - this year's
score is the lowest that I have achieved since entering the contest from ZL6QH
in 1998! The following table tells the story.

Raw QSO counts for ZL6QH

Year   1998   1999   2000   2001   2002   2003   2004
 80      53     50     43     36     26     55     53
 40     143    106    108     98    106    133    155
 20     178     88    214    224    225    253    138
 15      54    119    151    168    201    199     67
 10      24     38     49    149    102     87     17

Score  5920   6145   6785   7095   7400   7995   5670

Conditions were generally poor. It was diffcult to get any serious run going on
15m and I making nil QSOs with UK on 10m. The Saturday night opening on 15m was
fair but it was almost non-existent on Sunday night.

The low bands were better but there was still no short path opening to UK on
80m. I heard G4PIQ/P at the time of our sunrise but Andy was too weak to make a
QSO.

The reduced score this year is also partly due to antenna problems at ZL6QH. Ten
of the eleven antennas were damaged in a severe storm that hit the site in
February - we estimated winds up to 200 km/hr! Work on the restoration of the
antennas meant that I ended up starting the contest 45 minutes late and taking
another 3 hours out on Sunday afternoon.

The contest finish time of 1000z is still not early enough for ZL ops that have
to go to work on Monday. Local daylight saving time means that the actual finish
time is 11 pm. An 0800z start and finish time is required if we want to
encourage more ZL stations to seriously particpate in the open section without
having to take a day off work.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, the RSGB for the fun contest, and the
Wellington Amateur Radio Club for the ZL6QH facilities. I am most grateful to
the ZL6QH supporters team for their work on the repair of the antennas after the
storm.

Lets hope for better conditions and no storms next year!

73

Brian ZL1AZE