[3830] Commonwealth VO1AU Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VO1AU@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VO1AU Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:04:51 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VO1AU
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: VO1AU

Class: Open HP
QTH: Newfoundland
Operating Time (hrs): 23.75

------------
   80:  148
   40:  238
   20:  285
   15:  174
   10:   14
------------
Total:  859  Total Score = 7,735

Club:

Comments:

Another enjoyable BERU.  Once again, I congratulate John VE3EJ as the leading
entrant from Canada.

As many others have noted, 10m was poor.  The contract was last year's
conditions on 10m could not have been more stark.  Eighty and 40 metres seemed
much better, though.

This was my second BERU from Newfoundland.  While the Gs are much more plentiful
than they were when I was in Quebec (ex-VE2ZP), the VKs are a lot harder to find
and work.  I found so few VK bonuses, it was embarrassing and hobbled my score.
On the other hand, I've quite pleased with my QSO total.  I think only 9H1ZA may
have been ahead of me that way.

It was really frustrating to work 5Z4DZ only to have him REFUSE to give me (or
anyone else) a QSO number.  It was tantalising to hear 9V1YC on two bands, but
not be able to get through the G pileup.  While I am pleased to work so many
casual ops, far too many of them make a point of repeating everything needlessly
(both calls, both QSO numbers, both signal reports, etc.).

Based on this and several other contests, I've resolved to make major changes to
my 40m antennas, complete getting SO2R on the go, and finding some means of
adding bandpass filtering.

I just love BERU.  Thanks to the RSGB for sponsoring it.