[3830] Rus DX K8AJS SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jbastin@sssnet.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX K8AJS SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:34:21 -0800
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    0     0
   80:    2     2
   40:   54    30
   20:  214    74
   15:  132    46
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  402   152  Total Score = 352,944

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I think I've got my score correct; AFTER the contest, I caught up with my
reading on the WriteLog reflector and found the solution to the multiplier and
point problem I had in the log during the contest. An update to cty.rus.dat and
namedmul.ini solved the problem and got the points and multipliers straightened
out.

This was a good contest. I was looking forward to it; some warm weather on 28
February allowed me to hang a new inverted vee for 80 meters (after complaining
about the G5RV on 80 all winter), and the new antenna had been working well,
even allowing me to occasionally beat an East Coast station for a European
contact. 80 meters is the last band not completed for DXCC, and I hoped to get a
few new ones in this contest.

So what happens? I was off for two hours Saturday morning sitting out a
thunderstorm, and the result was summertime conditions on 80 and 40. Atmospheric
noise at S9 on 80 meters made my operation on that band a wash, and 40 meters
didn't contribute as much as I had hoped. I finally got tired of the noise
hammering my ears, and gave up the effort at 11:30 PM on Saturday, after
approximately 14 hours.

Now (Sunday) it's snowing fairly hard outside and the low bands are relatively
quiet, atmospheric noise-wise. Go figure.

First prize here for best signal of the contest: UA0SC on 20 meters at 0140Z
(8:40 PM local). It was an honest 40db over S9 on the meter. Serge, whatever
you're running, you were LOUD in Ohio last night.

Rig: FT1000MP and ALS-600 amp
Antennas: 3-el quad, G5RV, 80-meter inverted vee
Log software: WriteLog