[3830] BARTG 8P2K(8P6SH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vision2000@acepaging.com
Subject: [3830] BARTG 8P2K(8P6SH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:53:49 -0800
                    BARTG Spring RTTY Contest

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P6SH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   80:   13          9
   40:  108         39
   20:  295         67
   15:  412         78
   10:  144         51
------------------------
Total:  972  972   244  Total Score = 1,423,008

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was an interesting contest, because of the rest requirement and the fact
that the band conditions were terrible from Barbados.

First, appreciation to the six ops I managed to work on all bands - N2FF,
VE3IAY, W1TO, K1PY, WA2ETU and WA1EHK. About twice that many ops worked me on 4
bands and missed me either on 10 or on 80.

Started slowly, with the first three hours spent on 20, 40 and 80 before taking
the first rest. The bands were terrible anyway, so I figured why not?

At around 11:00Z we were back at it again and 15m was the band!! for the next 14
hours I spent a part of every hour on 15 with the highest rate topping 65 Q's
around 18:00z, interestingly in the only hour withoutband change and of course
spent on 15m.

This is where I think I made a couple tactical errors. I should have stayed with
my flow rather than resting early on the start of the second day, but I wanted
to be up at about 08:00z for my usual EU and long-path VK/ZL opening.

Well, after struggling for half hour or so, I threw in the towel and took
another rest period. 20m was a lost case and neither 40 nor 80 had any joy.

Finally restarted at about 12:00z on Sunday, and did the final 12 hours or so
non-stop. As it was, I had no choice, since had I rested, I would have lost an
additional hour.

Fifteen was my business band, and it was great to work Senegal, for a new one on
10m. Missed many many normally easy mults from EU on 40 and 80 and on 10m also.
I reckon with different conditions and tactics, I should have had maybe as many
as 40 to 50 additional mults. I tried hard to work and move stations as much as
possible.

Overall I'd hoped to beat the 1.5 Meg set last year by A45WD, but fell quite
short of the target, mainly because of the missid mults. I'd aimed to have more
than 280 mults.

C'est la vie.

Thanks to all for a great contest and especially to BARTG for their sponsorship.

73's Dean - 8P2K/8P6SH