[3830] WPX SSB N3UM SO(TS)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N3UM SO(TS)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:36:29 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N3UM
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: N3UM

Class: SO(TS)AB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:
   80:   24
   40:   58
   20:  614
   15:  169
   10:
------------
Total:  865  Prefixes = 507  Total Score = 1,099,683

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This year 20 meters carried the load: 71%  of the QSOs, 64% of the QSO points,

and 68% of the prefix multipliers.  Good rates on 20 m. both afternoons EST.
On 15 meters, fair rates Sat. AM but very poor Sun. AM EST.  Until Sun.
afternoon, I de-emphasized W/K/N stations: when S&P I skipped any  that
were not new multipliers, and when running I never pointed the beam west,
working only the US stations that could get through off the back or side.
Then, in the last few hours of Sun. afternoon, I put the beam west and went
for W/K/N stations as hard as I could, run and S&P.  This strategy worked
well: I kept up a 60/hour rate most of Sun. afternoon, which was a
great cure for the usual Sun. PM droop.  Worked 11 of the 14 VE provinces
and territories without much effort: where ARE those guys during SS and
160 contests?  I tend to take SSB WPX at a more relaxed pace than the
winter contests; it's spring: went to a concert Fri., took a walk Sat., and
put the genoa on our sailboat Sun.