[3830] WPX CW NG6O(WX5S) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx5s@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NG6O(WX5S) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:37:28 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NG6O
Operator(s): WX5S
Station: K6KM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:    9
   40:  315
   20:  637
   15:  261
   10:    6
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to my host, Bill K6KM for the opportunity to operate his contest
station during WPX-CW with the callsign of NG6O.  The station is wonderful, but
some bad things happened that were beyond the control of mere mortals.

Disaster struck in the form of a light rain shower right at the start of the
contest.  The rain static was bad and rendered some of the antennas unusable. I
thought that was bothersome, but I wasn't worried since it just cannot rain that
long in Northern California in May. I figured after a couple of hours that
things would get better. I was wrong. The real trouble started after the rain
stopped.

I wound up with a new continuous S9 (on 10 meters) line noise source at 60
degrees.  The noise level varied somewhat by band and by time, but it was very
difficult for me to hear anybody in EU or even stations in the US (this noise
source was just 10 degrees off the main US beam heading (70 degrees) from my
QTH).

I thank all stations that helped me with serial number repeats, etc. If you
wondered, "is that guy deaf?", the answer is "yes".  I struggled.  Just because
I may be S8 at your QTH and you are S8 at my QTH means nothing. That may have
meant that you were at the noise level and extremely difficult to copy at my
end.

73, Matt WX5S (SOAB op @NG6O, WPX CW 2004).