[3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:51:51 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Alajuela, Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    3
   40:  215
   20:  464
   15:  453
   10:  109
------------

Club:

Comments:

Xcvr: Kenwood TS 940-S with output set at 5 watts

Antennas:

HF Quad at about 70 feet.  4 el on 10 M, and 3 el on 15 and 20 M.

2 el 40 meter Quad pointed slightly east of north.

80 meter loop

160 meter dipole.

QRP is tough without 10 meters.  I could hear very few stations on the band, but
CQs would sometimes bring US and VE callers.  The only European station I heard
was DL8WPX, but he could not hear me.

15 meters was much better, and CQs would bring a steady stream of callers,
mostly USA / VE, with an occasional European or JA.

20 meters was great, and at times I seemed to work the world on the first call.
It was a great source of European multipliers.  No two stations from the former
Soviet Union seemed to have the same prefix!

40 meters was fantastic, and many weak Europeans would come back to my 5 watt
signal on the first call.  25% of my contacts were in Europe.

80 Meters was poor, and even the strongest stations could not hear me.  I only
had 3 Qs on 80.

160 meters was worse!

My best Q was working 3V8BB on 40 meters.  He came back to me on my first call,
as he has done several times before in other contests.  I also got 4L8A, A61AJ
on 15 and 20, and C4M, all very tough for me from home.

My biggest disappointment is the continued lack of JA activity in DX contests.
Gone are the days of running JA stations for hours.  I only worked 36 JAs, with
only 21 multipliers.

Many thanks to Keko Diez and his lovely wife Sophie for their wonderful
hospitality.

Bill Parker  W8QZA -- TI5N