[3830] ARRL June VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:01:16 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  39     32  Total Score = 1,280

Club:

Comments:

A "very tough" June contest with blistering heat, high humidity and winds
Saturday afternoon, then thunderstorms and tornados Sat. eve. and Sunday. I
operated from EM08 west of Nickerson, KS by a wheat field. Harvest was in
progress, so had alot of dust and wheat chaff getting into the radios. Local
police came by to "see what I was up to." No tropo on the higher bands and Es
overall were "poor." Only 6M Es of significance was an opening Saturday evening
to W4, W5, W7, and W8, mostly the EM60s, EM70s, EM80s and EM90s GA, NC, SC and
FL. The overall conditions in June 2004 were much like the June 2002 contest.

Highlight of the contest was working ZF1DC EK99 Cayman Is. on 6 Meters at 0149
utc June 13! David, ZF1DC was mostly just above the noise and is 2,700 KM from
me "in the void" between single and double hop Es hops. Heard him work W7GJ and
W7KNT Montana for some nice multi-hop Es contacts. I was running 10 watts to a 2
el. yagi on 6M, so it took "a few calls" to get the QSO completed. EM08 was a
new grid for David on 50 MHz, and I think he was as pleased as me to complete
the QSO.