[3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:30:09 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): K5TR, N5RZ, KG5U, KE5C, WM5R
Station: K5TR

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EM00uf
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  690   192
    2:  101    25
  222:   20    10
  432:   34    11
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  863   238  Total Score = 213,486

Club:

Comments:

ARRL VHF QSO SUMMARY SHEET
    Contest Dates : 12-Jun-04, 13-Jun-04, 14-Jun-04
    Callsign Used : K5TR
        Operators : K5TR, N5RZ, KG5U, KE5C, WM5R
         Category : Limited Multi-op
 Default Exchange : EM00

    6CW        2           2          2       1
    6SSB     706         706        688     191
    2CW        5           5          5       1
    2SSB      97          97         96      24
  222CW        2           2          4       1
  222SSB      18          18         36       9
  432CW        5           5         10       3
  432SSB      28          28         56       8

 Totals      863         863        897     238

    Final Score = 213,486 points.

The station:

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/blanco/k5tr_station.html

 50Mhz - Kenwood TS-690  -  3cx800 amp (800 watts)
         8 element yagi at 75'
         7 element yagi at 30'
           6 element yagi at 25' fixed west

144Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - 3cx800 (700 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'
         8 ele yagi at 60'
         vertical at 44'

222Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - Brick (100 watts)
         15 element yagi at 38'

432Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - Brick (100 watts)
         31 element yagi at 42'

The contest went pretty well this year. Only a few glitches and
we got them all ironed out in the first four hours or so.  I have not
had much time or money to spend on improving the antennas but I have been
working towards getting the inside more setup for VHF/UHF.  In the past
I have had to dismantle most of the HF station to get setup for VHF contests.
This did not allow me to get on the VHF/UHF bands much outside of the timee
around one of the VHF contests I had set things up for but this year
I finally got things in place that make it possible to have the VHF/UHF
gear and the HF gear hooked up and ready to go.  So, I hope to be on the
high bands a bit more in the coming years and not just for the June contest.

I did not do too much operating this time but we had a good crew.  Some where
here one day but not the other - only WM5R and I were here the entire weekend.

WM5R created some grid maps of our grids worked:

Mhz</a>
Mhz</a>
Mhz</a>
Mhz</a>

--------------------

Comments from WM5R:

It was a little bit disappointing not to have propagation on six meters
at the start of the contest.  Saturday's Eskip opening began around 2113 UTC,
with QSOs into the midwest.  Things really picked up in the 2200 UTC clock
hour, with a 158 hour.  I made five QSOs in one minute at 2239 UTC and again
at 2243 UTC, which were probably around the peak of the opening.  The 2300
UTC and 0000 UTC hours were each slightly down at 129 and 123 QSOs each.
The 0000 UTC clock hour was when we first began to work Eskip to our west,
into Arizona and New Mexico.  We continued to make the occasional Eskip
QSO to the west for the rest of the local evening, with the last Eskip
QSO of the night coming at 0528 UTC.  Our six meter QSO total after one day
was only 553 (last year, we had 1,100 six meter QSOs after one day.)

Sunday's Eskip on six meters was nothing like Saturday's.  The morning saw
some Eskip to the west, and very light, thin Eskip to the east.  Our best
clock hour on Sunday on six meters was 1400 UTC, with 37 QSOs.  The skip
mostly shut down around 2000 UTC, and in the final seven hours of operating,
we would make a total of only 21 QSOs on six meters.  Our final Eskip QSO
of the contest was at 0044 UTC.  We added only 155 six meter QSOs to the
log all day Sunday.

We made a total of 41 QSOs with rovers on all bands.  34 of those rover
QSOs were made on six meter Eskip.  Of the seven remaining QSOs, only three
QSOs were made with stations believed to be actually competing in the
Rover category, as opposed to incidental mobile stations, and none of those
rovers came closer to us than three grid locators away.  We made no rover
QSOs on 222 MHz or 432 MHz.

------------------------
Comments from KE5C:

Operators need a sense of urgency when working 50 mhz
e-skip:  complete the qso, then chit-chat.  i lost several qso's because
folks wanted to tell me how strong my signal was, how good it was to finally
hear a signal, etc., when they should have been giving me my report.  while
they finished the chit-chat, the e's were went away and i never got any
report.  folks don't need to repeat the calls, not twice, not once.  if i
come back to you and don't ask for a fill, i've got your call.  if you
called me and didn't ask for a fill, you've got my call.  and i can copy
english at several hundred words a minute, going v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y only
waste's the e-time.  if i want you to slow down, i'll ask.

------------------------------------

Lots of numbers:

  HOUR    6SSB   2SSB   222SSB  432SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18      24      20      2       2      48      48
   19      12       9      1       2      24      72
   20       7       2      1       1      11      83
   21      30       4      3       1      38     121
   22     158       2      0       0     160     281
   23     129       1      0       4     134     415

    0     123       3      0       0     126     541
    1      29       5      0       1      35     576
    2      22       7      3       3      35     611
    3      10       9      2       3      24     635
    4       4       5      2       1      12     647
    5       5       5      1       1      12     659
    6       0       0      0       0       0     659
    7       0       0      0       0       0     659
    8       0       0      0       0       0     659
    9       0       0      0       0       0     659
   10       0       0      0       0       0     659
   11       3       3      2       1       9     668
   12       4       2      0       2       8     676
   13      10       5      0       1      16     692
   14      37       1      0       1      39     731
   15      15       1      0       0      16     747
   16      22       2      0       0      24     771
   17       9       0      0       2      11     782
   18      17       1      0       0      18     800
   19      17       0      0       0      17     817
   20       3       2      1       1       7     824
   21       1       2      0       0       3     827
   22       2       1      0       2       5     832
   23       4       2      0       0       6     838

    0       7       3      1       2      13     851
    1       2       3      1       0       6     857
    2       2       2      0       3       6     863

  TOTAL   708     102     20       5      33

   1.         em10   67
   2.         em00   34
   3.         em79   29
   4.         em12   26