[3830] IARU K3ZO SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3zo@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K3ZO SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:52:08 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K3ZO
Operator(s): K3ZO
Station: K3ZO

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:    29           24
   40:   399    20     48
   20:   571   255     68
   15:   186    31     42
   10:    16     6     15
---------------------------
Total:  1201   312    197  Total Score = 1,125,855

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had to scramble to get ready for this one as on June 17
a thunderstorm with constant lightning parked over my QTH
for three hours and my tallest tower (140 feet of Rohn 80)
took at least three direct hits.  My shack computer was
fried, my FT-1000MP damaged, telephone service was out for
a week (though my DSL service hung in there even without a
dialtone). A few days before the contest PVRC's WK3I, a licensed
electrician, finished installing a new AC service panel and
doing some minor rewiring of the shack.  As the contest
began I was still without the services of my 20 and 80 meter
Yagis, and the 15 meter Yagi (stuck on SE Asia)
could not be rotated as the prop pitch motor on the big tower
has been damaged.

My trusty old TS-830S was once again called in from the bullpen
and did yeoman service all weekend.  My 80 meter backup antenna,
a half-sloper toward Europe which I had never gotten around to
cutting to optimum length, worked well enough through a tuner and
I got almost every 80 meter mult I called.  Fortunately in addition
to the Yagis on 20 and 15 I also have 4-el quads on those bands so
I was able to operate almost as normal.  And just before the
lightning strike W3MC had replaced the 29-year-old coax on my
40 meter beam so that 3-el Telrex is working just fine now.

Given the circumstances I decided to take it easy in this contest
and thus each time I got sleepy I took a nap.

It was lots of fun as always and the widespread Sporadic E made 15
and even 10 look better than they should at this point in the
sunspot cycle.

Now let's see if I can get my VHF stuff up and running for next weekend's
CQWW VHF Contest!

73, Fred