[3830] IARU K6NR SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6nr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K6NR SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:51:10 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K6NR
Operator(s): K6NR
Station: K6NR

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: 06
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:    6      1      5
   80:   59     10     13
   40:  233     17     33
   20:  281    219     59
   15:   99     69     41
   10:   22      4      7
---------------------------
Total:  700    320    158  Total Score = 549,840

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Just finished the latest fix to my old AL-1200 a few days before the contest - I
replaced the failing open frame relay with the Ameritron relay mod.  Trucked the
amp up to my contest location only to find the blower wasnt coming on.  I
swapped it out with my AL-572.

After the first 10 contacts or so the next morning, the smell of component smoke
was quite evident in the shack.  I couldnt tell where it was coming from - no
smoke, no fire.  I suspected the AL-572 and decided to risk the AL-1200 with an
external fan.  The AL-1200 blower came on, I was in luck but the smell
persisted.  Turns out it was my transceiver.  I swapped it out too.

With that equipment fun out of the way, on with the contest.  I love to work all
the different bands and modes.  20 was a real fight for me due to noise and not
getting out real well.  I also had the pleasure of a jammer who decided to call
me his own for a time - haven't had that before.

The summer QRN in the desert is awful and there were a number of dirt devils out
in the back yard along with 30mph winds.  Noise was s9 or so at times on 20
meters - I apologize to those I struggled to hear or couldnt hear at all.

Had no problems hearing W1AW/0 though - like a beacon on all bands.  Made 12 Qs
with them.

Great contest, let's do it again.

  Dana