[3830] IARU WZ3AR(@W9GE) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nat@ajheatwole.com
Subject: [3830] IARU WZ3AR(@W9GE) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:55:35 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WZ3AR
Operator(s): WZ3AR
Station: W9GE

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Easton, MD
Operating Time (hrs): ~16

  160:          11      5
   80:          14     11
   40:          41     25
   20:         492     52
   15:         107     35
   10:           1      1
---------------------------
Total:   0     666    129  Total Score = 316,566

Club:

Comments:

This was my first time doing this contest full-time in quite a while. My last
serious entry was several years ago running LP ? before the power classes were
introduced. I was a little rusty, but I think I did alright given the time that
I put in. W9GE has a VFB QTH on the Eastern Shore of MD near the Chesapeake Bay,
even though it takes 4+ hour round trip to get there.

When I arrived at Bob?s place on Friday evening he told me that the top
tribander, normally fully rotatable, was stuck on EU and that the rotor was
complete fried. Although EU was a nice place to have the beam parked at, it
really hurt my QSO and multiplier totals from the Pacific and Asia. It also made
it harder to work long or skewed path, but I don?t know how much of a difference
that would have made.

Band conditions were tough at times. After the first two hours I had only 85
QSOs in the log! I took a lot of off time to keep myself sane while trying to
suck the bands dry of QSOs and figuring out the intricacies of the Orion (much
more complicated than my FT-920!). Worked DA0HQ on 5 bands (10-80m) and W1AW/0
on 5 bands as well (15-160m). The QSO with W1AW/0 on 160m literally took 5
minutes, maybe more, to complete. The operator had to get my callsign letter by
letter. Very tiring! Only Africa worked was 3V8BB, A61AJ was it from the Middle
East, and I got only one JA, 2 KH6s, and one VK. Unlike virtually all of my
major - or even minor - efforts in DX contests, I never worked a new all-time
DXCC entity in this one.

Interesting comparison: I made only 43% of the QSOs that N3HBX did, but my total
score was 73% of what his was, and John worked the whole 24 hours. QSO points
and mults really make the difference!

Thanks a bunch to Bob, W9GE, and his XYL Jan for the use of the station and
their warm hospitality. Next major contest effort for me is the IOTA contest
from N3HBX's QTH. Thanks for all of the QSOs!

Equipment:
Radio: TT Orion
Amp: Alpha 78 @ 1500w

Antennas:
-OptiBeam OB16-3 Tribander @ 80ft (fixed on EU)
-Force 12 C3E @ 40ft (on a TIC ring)
-2 Element 40m OptiBeam Moxon Yagi at 80ft
-Dipole for 80/160m

73!
Nat WZ3AR