[3830] IARU K3ND SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K3ND SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:52:04 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K3ND
Operator(s): K3ND
Station: K3ND

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: SE PA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:    2             2
   20:  103            40
   15:    5             5
   10:
---------------------------
Total:  110     0      47  Total Score = 18,142

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was certainly a different contest for me, kind of like the "old days". I
spent 12 days "house sitting" for my cousin while he and his wife were in the
UK. I took one of my Kenwood radios (TS-830), a memory keyer, wattmeter, and
some aluminum and wire. I built a 20M Ground plane with two radials and
installed it about 10 feet high on his grape arbor. No amplifier, no yagis, no
PC (paper logging), no packet. Just like the old days! The simple setup worked
quite well from a less than ideal location. I was able to work into JA and AS
Russia as well as all over EU when conditions favored a particular area. The
only pain was post contest logging on the PC when I got home. A older laptop
would have really been nice. I wouldn't want to operate every contest this way
but it certainly was interesting. I didn't put in all that many hours with all
the other family activities but it was enjoyable.