[3830] IOTA K4QCD/P Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KT4ZB@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA K4QCD/P Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:11:22 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: K4QCD/P
Operator(s): K4QCD, KT4ZB, K4SDJ, W4SWJ
Station: K4QCD/P

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NA-058 St Simons Isl
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:
   40:                   001      01
   20:                   459      31
   15:                   009      06
   10:
Total:   0        0      469      38  Total Score = 85,842

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Strange propagation - We entered as a multi operator station and our plan was to
run SSB on the run machine and then pickup as many mults as we could on the
multiplier radio on ssb/cw.  We're normally a SSB group and have limited
proficiency on cw. However I ran out of time during the week and could never get
Writelog to network properly on an Xp to Xp network.  So we ran the contest
using a one computer log/2 radio setup which meant that the multi station had to
get a s/n and work someone, switch to radio 2, type in the contact and give the
log back to the run machine.  We used a FT 920 and portable 20m hex beam for the
run station that performed great while only at 20 feet.  We had a multi band
vertical for the other radio and could not break into Europe at all.  So later
we set up a long wire for that station and worked a few stations including
ZK1USA and a ZL6.  The noise was so bad on 40m that we made only one contact.
Because the network took so much of the preparation time and then would not run
Writelog, we never had a chance to configure for cw and just scrapped that until
next time.  NOW THE GOOD - We had fun and turned the contest into a 20m IOTA QSO
party.  We worked over 450 Qs on 20m ssb and encouraged many stateside people to
make some IOTA contacts.  We had an unbelievable number of 001 and 002 contacts.
 Stateside folks really came out with a lot of support and seemed to enjoy
getting a new IOTA.  We had some great runs into Europe on 20 and closed the
band with a run of VKs, ZLs and included A35DX.  Heard no JAs at anytime, very
little from the Caribbean and nothing after the band closed before we packed up.
 Total time on was about 18 hours as we also shut down for a wedding at the
church.  We had no access to packet so didn't know anything about solar
conditions until returning home.  Thanks go to all who provided QSOs and the
folks who spotted us - we could really tell.  Special thanks to St. Simons
Presbyterian Church for letting us use their facility and grounds. - KT4ZB
(Jere), K4QCD (Bill), K4SDJ (Steve) and W4SWJ (Sue)