[3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:02:29 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    1     1
   80:   22     4
   40:   48    26
   20:  121    42
   15:   34    13
   10:    8     2
-------------------
Total:  234    88  Total Score = 20,504

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 3

Comments:

This could have been a real bummer of a contest.  Instead,
I actually beat my score from last August.  In spite of
conditions, I only missed last August's take by 4 QSOs, but
picked up 8 more mults. I wound up with a 1500 point
increase over last August.

An hour before the start, my IBM laptop forgot how to talk
to my K2.  I'm kinda vague on this digital stuff, so rather
than bog myself down in troubleshooting, I swapped in my old
Compaq 33 MHz laptop and ran the contest with it.  Worked
just fine.

I expected my Lazy H to really do a job for me.  In use, my
60 ft 40m dipole did every bit as well as the Lazy H.  My
K2 matched the 40m dipole on all bands 10m down through 80m.
It even matched on 160m, but not much signal was radiated :-)
Now it's time to take down the LH and start refurbishing the
160m vertical that uses from the same support mast.

There must be some pretty fabulous aluminum overcasts at some
stations. I had a long run of working stations on a single
call. Twenty meters was the main band for number of QSOs, but
40m was the most productive at 1.8 QSO per multiplier.

I worked all bands, 10m right down to 160m.  Got my token QSO
on 160m, but it let me fill in that blank :-)

Time to restudy the antenna farm and plan for the next contest.
My (in)famous WimpyWire antenna system needs further study to
emphasize 15m down to 80m.  The 160m vertical stands alone in
this mini-farm.

Hope to see as many of you as possible in the next contest.
73, Bob N6WG