[3830] ARRL FD VE7VCT 2A LP

To: "3830@contesting.com" <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD VE7VCT 2A LP
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:24:24 -0700

FIELD DAY SUMMARY SHEET

Contest Dates : 26-Jun-04, 27-Jun-04

Callsigns Used : VE7VCT, VA7EOC (GOTA) Operator : MANY

Category : 2A

Default Exchange : 2A BC

            Name : Jim Smith
  City/State/Zip : Vancouver, B.C.
         Country : Canada

Team/Club : VECTOR

BAND Raw QSOs Valid QSOs Points __________________________________________

  80CW       87          87        174
  80SSB     134         128        128
  40CW      423         397        794
  40SSB     110         109        109
  20CW      335         315        630
  20SSB     287         273        273
  15CW        9           9         18
  15SSB      95          94         94
   6CW        8           8         16
   6SSB      86          76         76
   2DIG       1           1          2
   2SSB      33          26         26
 432SSB       2           2          2

Totals     1610        1525       2342
GOTA        152         152        257
           1762        1677       2599
Power Multiplier                    x2
Total QSO Points                  5198
Bonus Points                      1340

Final Score = 6538 points.

What follows is mostly about our efforts to organize FD using the Incident Command System. It is rather long.

INTRODUCTION

Our club was formed a few years ago specifically to provide emergency comms for the City of Vancouver. Most of our activities take place on VHF FM. Still, we're proud of our growing HF capabilities. While Field Day isn't a contest, we were very pleased last year to find ourselves in the top VE spot in 2A and #46 overall out of 429. (There was a glitch somewhere along the line which caused our QST reported score to be less than the actual. The correct score is on the ARRL web site in the scores database.) Our score this year is about 15% better so we're hopeful.

Being an emergency comms organization, the Club Exec decided that all significant club activities from now on should be organized using the Incident Command System so that members will gain familiarity with the system and, when responding to our client agencies' call-outs, will know what position to report to and where they fit in. FD was the guinea pig (and I, as Incident Commander, was the sacrificial lamb).

ICS OVERVIEW

In the usual FD a bunch of folks get together, figure out who's going to bring the gear, put up the antennas, operate, etc, and it happens. With ICS, all the same things occur but it is highly formalized and compartmentalized.

The Incident Command System has an organizational structure with four major branches called Sections. They are: Planning; Logistics; Operations; and Finance and Administration. Within the Sections, a number of functions common to most incidents and at a variety of levels have been defined. e.g. Documentation Unit Leader, Facilities Group Supervisor, etc.

There are also Staff functions which aren't discussed here but are important. e.g. The PR stuff take place at the Staff level.

The major duties of the four Sections for FD, as we saw them, are as follows:

1. The Planning Section (amongst other things):

Works out what functions have to be performed and passes the functional requirements specs to the Logistics Section.

e.g. Require an operating position with transceiver with the following capabilities: Transmit and Receive on the FD HF bands using SSB; Tx output min 100W, prefer 150W; Can be interfaced with TRLog.

There's a lot more, of course, to an operating position and it was all specified according to what it needed to be able to do

2. The Logistics Section (amongst other things):

Figures out what actual equipment that is available can be used to perform the functions identified by the Planning Section and where to get it.

Establishes the required facilities, puts up the antennas, installs the gear and makes it operational.

Keeps the generator humming.

Keeps everyone hydrated and fed and provides a place to drain their snakes (for those who have them).

Takes everything down at the end of FD.

Gets everything back to where it belongs

3. The Operations Section (amongst other things):

Creates an operating plan using the prop predictions from the Planning Section.

Recruits and schedules ops.

Makes operating decisions during FD as to which position should be on which band and antenna at any particular time based on:
Propagation predictions.
Current band cndx.
The results of examining the entrails of several uneaten hamburgers.

4. The Finance and Administration Section:

Follows their training and bitches continuously about how much money is being spent.
Well, not in our case

The devil, as always, is in the details, but you get the idea - an apparent bureaucratic nightmare. It isn't really, but it sure feels like it the first time through.

WHAT WE DID

PLANNING

The first thing tackled was the organization chart. In the ICS system you're not supposed to have more than 7 people reporting to anyone. In our case, this resulted in an organization chart with 56 boxes!! When I first presented the org chart (with fewer boxes) a retired engineer pointed out that the FD organization required more managers than the club had active members. Fortunately, by this time I had read enough about ICS that I could reassure him (and me) that, unlike the classical business model, the same person could appear in several boxes. i.e. they could be a Section Chief in one part of the organization and the Head Janitor in another. Little did I know at the time that my name would end up in 12 of the 56 boxes. There are parts of the org chart where I was reporting to myself through 4 different levels. There was even a spot where I was reporting to someone who then reported to me.

Ideally there would be a written job description for each box on the Org chart. Well, we didn't make it that far but there were documents describing in some detail the duties of various parts of the organization and their interfaces with each other. We also had plans for how to do things and where various things should go. All of this being intended to get FD out of the heads of a few people and into a form that less experienced people could follow in the event that we have to set up a FD style operation in a real emergency.

Once the Org chart was done and the Planning boxes were filled, the Planning Section drew up a set of Functional Requirements specs which specified, in very general terms, what absolutely everything needed had to be able to do. Well, that's what they were supposed to do. In fact, all we managed to get done was the specs for each operating position. We also defined the operator/logger requirements for each position and the skills they needed in order to perform effectively.

FACILITIES AND MATERIAL ACQUISITION

All the Functional Requirements specs produced by Planning were passed to the Logistics Section. We had already assigned Logistics Unit Leaders to be responsible for each operating position as well as functions such as antennas, shelter, power, food, etc. For example, a Unit Leader responsible for one of the operating positions had to take the Functional Requirements spec for the position and determine every single thing required to meet the spec for that position, who to get it from, how to get it to the site, and how to get it back home again. He was also responsible for setting it up and tearing it down. Obviously, we already knew from previous years what gear was available and from whom, so the task wasn't as formidable as it sounds. Still, in an emergency, this is what you have to be able to do.

Ideally, each Unit Leader would list everything he needed, where it was going to come from and who was going to transport it. These lists would be dumped into a database which would show, for each item, which Unit needed it, where it was coming from (call sign or name), who was to bring it to the site (call sign or name) and ditto for the return voyage.

At this point, it would be a very simple matter to print a variety of lists which would show all the stuff any particular person is expected to provide; all of the stuff any particular person is supposed to transport, along with where from and where to, and which Unit Leader is supposed to get each item; and all of the stuff which each Unit Leader is expecting to get, along with who is providing it and who is bringing it.

That was the plan.

Maybe, in a couple of years, we might get this working properly. No problem with the database, that was the easy part. However, detailed equipment list preparation isn't what most people expect to be doing when they sign up for some FD duties and a whole bunch of FD fun. No matter, this can be worked on over time. Once we get the lists developed, modifying them as members, gear and requirements change will be pretty easy.

SETUP

By and large, this went quite smoothly. We had hoped to have the antenna erection part better organized than the usual, "Hey, we need five people over here." Maybe next year.

We tried one new thing, though. In the past we've had a tribander on a 30 ft tower using 3 point guying. To get it up we assigned two heavy-weights to make sure the tower base didn't slip while others simply walked the tower up. We had people holding the guys (belayed around the rebar guy anchors) while this took place. Last year we almost had an accident when, unnoticed, one of the guys started slipping up the rebar. Fortunately, it was caught before it slipped off the end. Otherwise, the tower would have lurched sideways, along with everyone walking it up. I still have visions of everyone falling over and the tower landing on top of them, nutcracker style.

This time we had the tribander on a more ambitious 40 ft tower with, in addition, a 2m/70cm gain vertical mounted above the beam. We used 4 point guying which meant that 3 of the guys could be fastened to their guy anchors as, with the tower lying on the ground, it was obvious how long they needed to be. Then we rigged a ladder to the tower base as a falling derrick. We had the doddery 69 yr old with the big gut pull on the rope attached to the top of the ladder and, with little difficulty but some nervousness and a lot of disbelief, the tower rose majestically into the vertical position with little to no assistance from the rest of the crew. The 69 yr old was heard to mutter something that sounded like "Gotta get Niagara", but no one could figure out what he was talking about. Guess he must have got confused by the similarity between Falling Derrick and Niagara Falls.

OPERATING

At our final meeting a couple of days before FD I congratulated everyone on having got through the Planning and Material Acquisition phases successfully and went on to explain that I'd run out of time and that, while Setup hadn't been planned in detail, we'd done it before in previous FDs so that shouldn't be a problem. However, no planning of the Operations phase had been done. This prompted an Army Captain who is responsible for DND emergency comms for BC to say, "So, we're going to build this beautiful station and then no one is going to know what to do once FD starts?" "Yup, that's right," I said, "but maybe someone might decide to turn on a radio and make a few contacts, you never know!" Fortunately, this broke everyone up and we moved on to other topics.

On the day, the gear showed up, the station was built and, indeed, people did turn on the radios and make Qs, more than we've ever done before in our short history, 1667 vs 1491 last year. This was the first year that we have had a station manager monitoring QSO rates of the various positions via the TRLog network, checking detailed propagation forecasts and the aforementioned hamburger entrails, and making decisions as to which band and antenna each position should be on at any particular time. Another thing which helped was a nice run of 84 Qs on 6m.

Our score improved much more than the increased number of Qs would suggest. This was due to a significant jump in the number of CW contacts. We even had a GOTA op who made over 100 CW Qs.

Still, the lack of planning on the Operations side was noticeable at times. With a lot of the earlier planning now pretty well done, we'll be able to pay proper attention to the stuff we didn't get to this year.

Another innovation this year was the implementation of a WinLink 2000 system on VHF. This gave us an on-site e-mail facility which we used for sending the bonus point FD messages. No doubt others did this also but it's nice to feel that we're somewhere near the leading edge of something. Gives us confidence in our ability to establish an e-mail system in the field.

We had a very serious problem with horrible, show-stopping, intra-station interference between the 2 HF positions. Because we had some antenna redundancy we were able to work around it. Another proof of the old adage that, "You can't have too many antennas."

CONCLUSIONS

A number of us learned quite a bit about ICS Organization. However, FD itself really wasn't managed in accordance with ICS principles. We'll try harder to do that next year.

One thing I really like about this formal method of organizing FD is that you have all these org chart boxes to fill. Because you don't want the same names over and over in the boxes, you try to get more people involved. Once the job descriptions for the boxes have been written, you can tell a potential box occupant exactly what he is expected to do and about how much work is involved. This means that he knows what he's signing up for and that he isn't going to fall into a bottomless pit of FD tasks. (Actually, of course, he is; once you've got him in one box it isn't too hard to coerce him into taking on another one.)

This isn't unique to ICS. Any of the usual project management methods requires that tasks be identified and someone made responsible for them. The ICS methodology does provide a convenient organizational structure for grouping the tasks common to emergency incidents.

Overall, I see the benefits of using ICS to organize FD as:

1. Club members get exposed to the ICS way of doing things without having to take any formal ICS training.

2. It requires the FD Chair to consciously split the work into a number of well defined tasks which makes it easier to get people to sign up to do the tasks.

3. The Club (if it's done right) ends up with a bunch of documentation on how to do Field Day.

This means that:

The Club now has a collective memory of how to do FD so, if a few key people leave, the Club doesn't have to relearn everything.

In an emergency, the Club can still set up a station in the field even if the key people aren't there.

And last, but definitely not least, it's easier for the head honcho to talk someone else into doing it next year.

Something to keep uppermost in the mind about Field Day - you can try to organize it to the n'th degree, as we do, and have success; you can go out there with minimal organization and a few folks who know what they're doing and have success; you can go out there with more BBQ's than antennas and have success; you can mount a couple of whips on your catfish boat and tool around the swamp and have success. Did you come anywhere near to doing what you wanted to do? Did you have fun? Can you think of a better definition of FD success than these?

73 and thanks to ARRL for providing this outrageously fun activity.

de Jim Smith VE7FO on behalf of VE7VCT