[3830] WAE CW K4AF(K9GY) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, eric.p.hall@us.army.mil
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K4AF(K9GY) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:32:12 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K4AF
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K4AF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Pentagon
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:   62    50    20
   20:   92    61    27
   15:   57    96    19
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  211   207   152  Total Score = 63,536

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Umm, starting a contest on Friday the 13th might not have been the best timing
for me.

Decided to go for a bicycle ride in the morning only to have it rain and ended
up falling off the bike onto a wet wooden bridge. Sometimes it helps to slow
down in the rain! Decided to continue with the whole 24+ mile ride anyways since
I was already wet. The bactine was in use before the contest started!

I get to W3DOS around 2320z. Well? the combination lock to the station door does
not want to open. So after trying the combo enough times, I decided to go over
to K4AF. Unfortunately, I did not bring my building passes with me? so I drove
back to the apartment and end up missing the first hour or so.

Used the FT-1000, which has a problem when trying to CQ too much. So needless to
say all Qs except for like eight were S&P. No telephones or internet
hookup?therefore ?single-op find them myself? mode.

I really enjoyed Friday night. 40m was quiet and the antenna seemed to work
well.

Pretty much missed most of Saturday. Was going to return in the evening around
21z but ran out of energy after going to the gym. Ended up watching ?Italian
Job? on TV. So the European spirit was there.

Decided to make a day of it on Sunday. Operated for a while, went to the
Pentagon gym, and then operated some more. It?s always interesting to see the
building when there are not a lot of people around.

The club station has some work to do but it?s making progress.
They are planning to be active for a special event on Sept 11th.
Check out http://www.K4AF.org

You can find out more information about the permanent Sept 11th memorial at:
http://www.pentagonmemorial.net/

73, Eric