[3830] NAQP SSB K0DU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K0DU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:47:41 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K0DU
Operator(s): K0DU
Station: K0DU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Colo
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    4     3
   80:   84    30
   40:  321    52
   20:  780    55
   15:    0     0
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 1191   142  Total Score = 169,122

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team:

Comments:

Well, first of all Chris, my XYL, normally runs the NAQP contests because they
are short and good practice for her.  She had other things going, so at the last
minute I decided to do my first ever NAQP SOP LP. I roll all the radials up late
in the spring for the 160 & 80 meter verticals so we can maneuver around the
property in the summer without getting wrapped up in them.  So I'm standing on a
12-foot ladder getting ready to hook up the coax after sweeping the 160 antenna
and grabbed the coax from the antenna from which the radials are elevated, not
grounded.  I grabbed the feed line to insert the connecter.  ZAP!  I practically
got knocked on my hind end.  Static buildup in the radials from an approaching
major thunder storm and wind and rain storm discharged through yours truly.  I
lost the first 1/2 hour to 20-30/9 static levels caused by the storm.
Throughout the contest other thunderstorms repeatedly kept me off the air for
short periods of time and made receive very difficult.  I was able to work two
stations on 10 meters and faintly heard a few stations come and go on 15.  What
a disaster!  20 meters was the band!  I had a pipeline to the east coast for
several hours.  40 was also good to me, although static levels were high.  80
meters and 160 were also a disaster because of rain and wind static of 20-30/9
noise levels. I think the winter version of NAQP is more favorable for the lower
frequencies for us.  A lot of Q's--no mults.  Did the best I could.  Thanks to
all who gave me a contact.  See you all this fall!  Jerry, K0DU