[3830] NAQP SSB KK1L Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk1l@host6.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KK1L Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:22:10 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: KK1L
Operator(s): KK1L
Station: KK1L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: vt
Operating Time (hrs): 9:45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   20    14
   80:  109    35
   40:  171    42
   20:  248    42
   15:   47    18
   10:   18    11
-------------------
Total:  613   162  Total Score = 99,144

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I spent WAY too much time farting around trying to make 15m contacts. Terrible
strategy on my part. I started running on 20m, with nothing happening on the
second radio listening on 21.300. I heard and worked a VE1 at 18:3x. I felt I
needed to make something happen there, so I would switch to calling on 15m while
S&P on 20m. The next 15m Q I made was at 21:56! I even worked a few 40m
contacts. Looking back at the log I easily missed 30 minutes of 20m run time
between 18Z and 22Z when I took my first break (1hr). I worked about 290
stations over this 4 hour period. Very bad rate compared to what it could have
been.

When I got back on there were respectable signals on 15m and even 10m. For the
next 70 minutes that is all I worked hoping to milk the mults while not having
too  bad a rate. I worked 66 stations exclusively on 15m and 10m in this time
frame. That seemed worth it at the time, but dual CQing on a pair of marginal
bands was just plain not smart. It is the fine BALANCE between mults and rates I
need to work out now that I have a second radio to play with. you would think I
would have this right by now! Being on the 80/160m inv-V for some period of this
and the pre-brak time on the second radio didn't help matters either.

I never again had any rate on 20m. 40m was reasonable for a bit. I bounced
around between the low bands mostly calling on 40m earlier and 80m later. I had
a markedly better time handling SO2R on two noisy bands than in the past, but
the rates pretty much sucked.

I took an hour and 22 minutes off from 00:50 to 20:12. The extra 20min was spent
with the kids. Nothing broke. The antennas on the two radios worked well. I was
able to call on any band and listen on any other without too much trouble. I
should have posted a better score!

73 es God Bless de KK1L
Ron Rossi