[3830] OhQP K8AJS SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jbastin@sssnet.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8AJS SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:11:44 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WAYNE COUNTY
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

   80:   72     46
   40:   99     38
   20:   23     11
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  194     95  CW Mults = 63  Ph Mults = 51  Total Score = 55,062

Club: Wayne Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

I have recently moved, so my quad antenna and tower are not erected yet at the
new location. I'm waiting for the exterior work on an addition to be completed
before I erect the tower, HOPEFULLY before snow flies. I had borrowed a Hustler
vertical from KI8L to tide me over, but I knew that wouldn't be a good choice
for OQP.

That being the case, the Sunday before the contest, with the help of W8AV and
N8JBG, I put up a 40-foot support and a newly-built Carolina Windom antenna in
my back yard. I was looking forward to good things if conditions cooperated.

After the first three and a half hours of the contest, in which I had worked two
counties, one of them my own, I decided something had to change. I took off an
hour and dropped the Carolina Windom from the support. In its place I put up a
G5RV that I had used at my previous QTH (and complained mightily about its poor
DX performance on 80 meters). The difference in hearing Ohio stations was like
between night and day.

That wasn't bad enough. At 6:30 PM I had to shut down for a little over an hour
as a tornado-carrying thunderstorm moved through the area, watching it carefully
until it moved away.

After all of that, my results were disappointing. If I had started with the
right antenna and the weather had cooperated, it could have been a whole
different ball game.

Wait 'til next year.

Rig: FT1000MP 100 watts
Ant: Carolina Windom, G5RV