[3830] WAE SSB DA0WAE(@DF0CG) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB DA0WAE(@DF0CG) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:35:44 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: DA0WAE
Operator(s): DB6JG, DF3KV, DH5HV, DJ7EO, DK6WL, DL3DXX, DL6RAI, DL8WPX, DO1ET,
JK3GAD
Station: DF0CG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Goch
Operating Time (hrs): 48

   80:   82     1   176
   40:  355   296   225
   20:  884  1032   246
   15:  845  1138   214
   10:   51    10    96
-------------------------
Total: 2217  2477   957  Total Score = 4,492,158

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

The station setup performed very well and all the OPs (mostly BCC members) were
very satisfied from this weekend.
We had some heavy work to do before the contest but after all DF0CG was ready
for the contest at 22:00 UTC on Friday night:
Three FT1000D with power amps connected to a Writelog network with 5 PCs.
Two stations in a multi two setup for 10m, 15m, 40m and 80m with all antennas
for these bands. One station for 20m only.

- 10m: One 5 element yagi at 31m height.
- 15m: A stack of two 5 element yagis at 35m and 26m and one 5 element yagi at
20m height.
- 20m: A stack of two 5 element yagis at 19m and 31m and one vertical dipole
with the feedpoint at 24m height.
- 40m: One single 3 element linear loaded yagi at 34m height.
- 80m: One horizontal dipole at 30m, a vertical loop and two half squares
(designed by DF3KV).

The computer network had some problems when we lost our DSL connection on Sunday
morning but Writelog performed well. Just the cluster spots were gone for a
while. Some of the OPs used this program for the first time now but a 10 minute
introducion was enough to train them.

No other failures or other technical problems ? this made the contest big fun
for all us.

Conditions were so-so:
- 10m: First day as poor as expected, second day better with some good openings
into Asia, Africa and South America. Unbelievable surprise was W0YR from VA,
being the only US-signal on the band on Saturday, yet constantly with S7-S9
level for over one hour. Second day started even poorer but then lots of new
mults showed up on the band and in the evening even the Middle East came in via
sporadic E. Then only station from North America on Sunday was KQ2M.
- 15m: Main daylight band with great condx into Japan on Saturday and North
America on both days. Our 5/5-Stack did a great job plus 155BA pointing in the
other direction.
- 20m: Poor condx just at the beginning but recovering during the first day.
Band didn?t close during the second night, fine opening into the Pacific.
- 40m: Not having a Beverage for the Far East, so working Asia and Pacific in
the evening was a challenge. But this was compensated with great Stateside and
Pacific runs in the early hours.
- 80m: Not as bad as it was in the CW part, but still not satisfying. We need
better antennas here.

Thanks to everybody who gave us a call !!!

The crew of DA0WAE@DF0CG