[3830] NA Sprint SSB W3DOS(K9GY) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, eric.p.hall@us.army.mil
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB W3DOS(K9GY) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:18:11 -0700
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: W3DOS
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: W3DOS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: DC
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

   80:
   40:   3
   20:  38       14
---------------------
Total:  41     Mults = 14  Total Score = 574

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC No. 1

Comments:

"COLIN" took a break this contest so "BUSH" filled in for him.
Unknown to me that KI9A used "BUTCH" which must of thrown some people off, hah!

FT-817 (boy what a nice little radio!)
20m: Tennadyne T8 LPA (5.8 dbd)
40m: folded dipole

Sounds like some software has problems accepting DC. They must not be using
WriteLog since WL is AOK with entering DC. Time to upgrade to WL...
Location is physically in DC. If they wanted to name it Maryland then
they never would have called it DC.

Goal was 100 Qs QRP...First hour was encouraging with 23 Qs. Although I had
to ask myself if it was the Calif QSO Party contest, hah! Noise was pretty
high on 20m as others have mentioned. Then during the second hour I hit the
40m wall...QRP SSB on 40m does not work well, hah! Was able to get 15 Qs in
the second hour and 3 more after that.

The all time highlight was working Ann AL1G in Alaska! Wow I felt like
a kid again being able to work AK with QRP :-)

Used the Yaesu hand mike that comes with the radio which seemed to work aok.
The computer/radio interface worked aok too with WriteLog. Guess if I had
known most of my QSOs would be on 20m the interface would not have been that
important.

Mults worked with QRP:
20m: CA, VA, WA, MN, ID, KS, BC, NE, LA, TX, MD, CO, AK, OR (14)
40m: VA, MN, CO (3)

CQ CONTEST!

73, Eric