[3830] Salmon Run K4AQ SOMixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4aq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run K4AQ SOMixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:53:09 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: SOMixed QRP
QTH: Atlanta, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 6.2

  160:
   80:
   40:    8      1
   20:   27      8
   15:   12      4
   10:
    6:
--------------------
Total:   47     13  Mults = 15  Total Score = 4,210

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.wwdxc.org/salmonrun/rules.htm

My third WaQP Salmon Run:

         Score     CW     Ph    Mul    Time
2004     4,210     47     13     15     6.2
2003*    3,016     31     12     17     4.9
2002*    6,400     51     33     20    10.7
*WB6BWZ

Hurricane Ivan, which was downgraded to a depression when it reached the Atlanta
area on Thursday, broke one wire of my OCF 28-gauge insulated wire stealth
antenna.

I replaced the broken wire by 1545 ET Friday before the other apartment
residents arrived home from work.

We lost utility power at the office in downtown Atlanta for 23 hours, beginning
at 1525 ET Thursday. Our Kohler emergency power generator, fueled by natural
gas, kept our network, servers and workstations operating during the power
outage.

I had essentially no sleep Thursday night:

   2245 ET: Went to the office to check on the water sensor and sump pump in the
basement server room.

   0205 ET: Brinks Security called to report a motion sensor had activated. I
told them I suspected the backup battery finally pooped out after running the
security system for 10 hours continuously. I still had to return to the office,
0.3 mi from home, to confirm that no break-in had occurred.

   0330 ET: Back to the office to: Do the Daily Closeout; verify no alarms on 13
DS1's (T1's); check the operational parameters of our UHF pager transmitter
sites in the Metro Atlanta area. (0330 ET is when I my normal workday begins,
every day.)

I was glad when power was restored at 1430 ET Friday. Only then was I able to
repair my stealth antenna...just in time for the weekend contests! (I had
originally planned to participate in 3 or 4 contests. Finally decided to do just
one contest...to catch up on some sleep, hi.)

My apartment complex experienced intermittent power outages Thursday and Friday.
None lasted for more than 10 seconds, fortunately. The only minor
inconvenience--which I am certainly NOT complaining about--was having to reset
the clocks on the coffee maker, gas range and microwave after every power
outage.

Yaesu FT-897 transceiver operated at 5 watts into a 5-MHz (now unconfirmed, hi)
OCF 28-gauge insulated wire stealth antenna up 40 feet in heavy foliage trees
next to I-75 in downtown Atlanta industrial area. SGC SG-237 Smartuner. WriteLog
10.48f.

--Matt, K4AQ (ex-WB6BWZ)