[3830] Oceania SSB 9M6A(G4MJS) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, peter@bowyer.org
Subject: [3830] Oceania SSB 9M6A(G4MJS) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:20:22 -0700
                    Oceania DX Contest, Phone

Call: 9M6A
Operator(s): G4MJS
Station: 9M6AAC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   60    47
   20:  543   302
   15:  482   192
   10:   46    30
-------------------
Total: 1131   571  Total Score = 1,110,024

Club: Hillview Gardens ARC

Comments:

A very enjoyable session, many thanks to the organisers and everyone whose
signals I struggled to hear through the crazy QRN that we have here at present.
Managed 17.5 hours out of the 24, with a 3-hour sleep break and sensible
mealtimes - could probably have pushed it a little harder but hey, I'm on
vacation...

Propagation to Europe was better than I expected on 15 and 20, but very little
worked in NA or SA. 10 only produced 'local' signals. 40 was a disappointment,
we need to work on the system for this band; the QRN reduction filter is not
really effective, and there's very strong broadcast QRM. We don't have a good rx
setup for 80 and 160 so I didn't spend any time there.

Nothing much in the way of tactics here - when I couldn't sustain a run I went
to S&P - didn't spend much time hunting down mults or moving them around the
bands. Didn't use the packet cluster.

My first attempt in this contest, and I'm really glad I made the effort to get
on. Shame I won't be around for the CW leg.

Peter G4MJS