[3830] CaQP AD6WL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP AD6WL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:02:02 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: AD6WL
Operator(s): AD6WL
Station: AD6WL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SBER
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   21     10
   80:   32     57
   40:   50     38
   20:  143    231
   15:  118    211
   10:   62     81
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Bartstow ARC

Comments:

I have recently been having some problems with Writelog and Windows coexisting.
I had finally done a format C: and reinstalled Windows and Writelog and all
seemed to be working fine.  I had configured my system for SO2R with DVK and
automated CW keyer for both radios and a third VHF radio all integrated with
Writelog.    Well ½ hour before the contest Writelog gives me errors again and
shuts down.  I again tried to fix it but no go.  I finally decide to setup my
laptop for the contest with SO1R.  By the time and a lot of frustration later I
finally start with a seriously inferior system 3 hours after the contest starts.
 This is 3 hours of prime operating time and 10 meters was open.  While
resisting the urge to take a sledge hammer to all my gear I finally decide to
just operate for a little while and see how much I really want to put up with.
The conditions were very good and SO2R would have been a big advantage in this
contest but I just suffered along with my 1 radio.

Well the more I operated the more I calmed down and got into a grove.  I started
with phone and when it started to slow down I switched to CW.  As anyone who
worked me during the contest knows, I am not the greatest CW op.  I set the
keyer to 15wpm and started a little run.  As my confidence built up so did my
speed, but I never did set the keyer any higher then 20wpm.

In the end I operated a little under 22 hours, but I couldn?t make up the early
lost time by operating at night because my station is not that great on 40/80
and it?s very noisy here.  I only worked 56 of 58 mults. I missed RI and HI?how
could I miss HI?  I just never heard them.  I was happy with my score
considering the circumstances and was very pleased with my CW this year.  I have
a way to go with CW but it is improving and it is a lot of fun, especially when
you are running a CW frequency.

The CQP is one of my favorite contest and that rare few times a year that I
operate phone during a contest.  For next year, as Arnie would say ?I?ll Be
Back.?  I want to thank everyone who was patient with me during CW, the NCCC,
AD6E, N6TV, K6ENT, K6TA and others for putting this all together.

73, Jim
AD6WL