[3830] CQWW SSB N5BO(@N5FG) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, JFountain@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5BO(@N5FG) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5BO
Operator(s): N5BO
Station: N5FG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Mississippi
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    4     4        4
   80:   32    10       19
   40:   68    12       42
   20:  215    30       87
   15:  255    28       95
   10:  517    30      110
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

- FT-1000 @ 100w
- Force12 C31XR @ 50ft
- 160/80 Inverted V's @ 70ft
- 40M Random Dipole @ 20ft

My first contest since 1997 and I had a blast!  I look forward to many more.

I was worried about losing multipliers on 40 meters because the 2el-40cd was
coming down from the tower on Saturday and it wasn't even working on Friday
night.  In hopes of picking up a few multipliers, I built a dipole Friday
morning out of anything I could find around the house.  I knew the QSO count
would be low on 40m, but I was desperate for the multipliers.  I ended up using
heavy duty speaker wire, an SO-239, and a homemade center insulator for my 40
meter antenna.  I could only get it up around 20ft because I didn't have much
coax.  It served it's purpose and is now retired!

I started out on 10 meters at the start of the contest because the JA's were
really loud at my QTH.  It worked out well because I didn't hear many JA's on 10
during the next two evenings and I was able to pick up a decent amount of Q's
before 10m died for the night.  I didn't even touch 40m on the first night
because my antenna situation wasn't looking too good during the contest.  Most
of my time on the first night was spent bouncing between 20 and 80 while I was
trying to get a feel for the bands.  This was my first time on the air in a year
and I was a little rusty!  I spent the whole contest in S&P mode because finding
a clear frequency to use with 100 watts was not happening.  I finally picked a
frequency out on 10m during Sunday and had a rate of 195 going for 30 minutes, I
ended the hour with 120 Q's when I stopped calling CQ because the calls stopped
coming in.  Back to Searching and Pouncing!

Also, I thank Floyd, N5FG for allowing me to use his station for the weekend.