[3830] CQWW SSB K3CR(LZ4AX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K3CR(LZ4AX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 01:16:20 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3CR
Operator(s): LZ4AX
Station: K3CR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 43.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   45    13       26
   80:  296    19       79
   40:  314    20       79
   20:  629    35      115
   15:  803    35      108
   10:  805    29      102
------------------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I made it back home in State College from a month long field experiment in the
Arctic on Monday before the CQWW. Then I was kind of hoping that I would be able
to crash on the couch at home for a couple of days and get some decent rest
before the contest but it wasn?t the case. As I learned from the native people
up there ?shit happens? and I had to switch to a ?turbo? mode, meaning 4 hours
of sleep a day. On Friday afternoon finally got almost everything under control
but 2 hours before the contest I already felt tired. Anyway, while I was
enjoying the features of the Arctic propagation, John KB3FUM, Woody K3YV and Jim
WA3FET and his students had spent countless hours to get the station ready for
the contest. New 160 m antenna was installed (vertical delta broadside to EU,
apex at 55m), one of the 80 m phased dipoles was repaired, a new ALPHA 89
replaced the ?elephant ? AL-1500, so now the SO2R is perfectly symmetric, all 4
Beverages were operational again, all other antennas, rotators, switches,
everything was working like a charm. I just needed to sit in the chair and
operate. Thank you guys !!! I have the best pit crew ever !!!  The Formula 1
pilots could eat their ? well, whatever body part they choose to.

The contest started quite good for me.  First, at 23.55Z I made WA3FET try the
Bulgarian national drink ? Rakia (exactly the same kind as the one I?m having
right now while watching the elections). He couldn?t say no as it was already my
birthday in LZT, so he had to give it a try. Then, after properly lubricating my
throat, I sat in the chair, heard a couple of JA?s on 15 and decided to give it
a try for 5 or 10 minutes there. An hour later I had 130 of them in my log ?
something that I could only dream about before the contest. On the low bands
conditions were also outstanding. When I first went there I could count more
than 15 Europeans loud enough to be workable through the static from the
approaching storm. Some of them evidently were hearing impacted though. On the
second night the QRN was gone but CONDX weren?t the same anymore. At 9Z went to
the bed for the planned 1.5 hours nap but instead of 10.30 woke up at 13.30.
Jumped immediately into the chair but it was too late for 20 already. 15 was
packed with huge signals, tried to break a hole here and there but couldn?t get
a decent run anywhere. I definitely had problems copying the stations calling me
through the splatter from my neighbors but if one is not good enough to put up
with it, he goes S&P. So did I most of the time on 15. 10 was good on Saturday
but not that good as it was on Sunday. Then I really thought I?m going to
swallow my tongue while trying to talk faster and faster. The second day
everything went much better ? 1600 QSO?s against 1300 during the first day. All
in all, I?m quite happy with the overall outcome. I bettered my last year score
with more than 1M which is something for a CW addicted person. Now, some people
say conditions were better this year but I don?t believe them. It?s just me -
getting better and better on phone. Not that I?m proud of it.

Congratulations to K4ZW for the amazing score. Guess he?s going to prove that
it?s not the New England location alone that wins but there must be someone in
the chair too.

Thanks to Jim WA3FET for letting me use his station again.

CU in the next one,

Alex /LZ4AX  aka KL7/WF9A