[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:03:29 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ/9
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   23     6       11
   80:   76    13       35
   40:  128    15       61
   20:  274    30       96
   15:  287    26       94
   10:  504    25       97
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This is higher than the highest claimed USA LP score from last year.
 I can't wait for the bottom of the sunspot cycle!

 OK, enough of the positive spin.  Several other low power stations
 have also posted scores higher than that of last year's champion.

 Things started out really slowly here in Indiana.  Late fall rains
 delayed the harvesting on my antenna field where I erect my 80m
 4 square and 160 vertical each fall.  So, I was using an 80m vertical
 and a 10 meter high 160m vertical in the woods, on the wrong
 side of the tower from the DX.  During the first night, I had
 to take a lot longer to work the guys I normally get on a few
 calls on 80 and 160, but other 4 bands were just about the same
 as the previous two years.  However, the second 12 hours saw me
 fall far behind last year's pace as I was unable to get any
 answers to my CQs on 10, 15 or 20.

 In the past I have found the second night to be pretty boring
 and slept a few hours Sunday morning.  This time, I stayed in
 the chair except for 1.5 hours at 10z for a nap and breakfast.
 This extra time allowed me to match last years low band totals
 with decidely inferior antennas, and boost my 40m totals.
 Ten did open better Sunday morning, and I was able to run some
 starting at 1341z.  Maybe "trot" would be more like it, the
 three hours averaged about 78 per hour.  Then it was back
 to S&P until a previously unencountered cockpit error late
 Sunday afternoon.  Hitting the Print Screen / SysReq key
 kills the parallel port from the computer which controls the
 antenna switching for the run rig.  It took me a while to
 figure that one out!

 I guess the good news about N1UR's big score is that I don't
 have to wonder what would have happened if my 4 square had
 been available!