[3830] CQWW SSB TI8M M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fdennin@numail.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB TI8M M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:40:33 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: TI8M
Operator(s): K4UN, W4BW, WW4LL, TI2KAC, W4KTR, N5VI
Station: TI8M

Class: M/2 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   62     8       13
   80:  329    16       43
   40:  390    20       50
   20: 1507    32       89
   15: 1944    27       86
   10: 1448    25       70
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to everyone contacting us during this 11 day "Field Day". We are thankful
for the Qs and support from 4 land and in particular, the SECC and SEDX
membership.

This is not a plug and play "rent a station" as I soon found out after reaching
Quepos, Costa Rica to contest for the first time with this group of gentlemen
from the Newnan, GA area.  There are no antennas in the air when you arrive and
no other station equipment installed.

After a 4 hour plane ride and a 4 hour drive from San Jose to Quepos, we began
our antenna installation the following morning in a jungle environment, during
the rainey season.  While installing one antenna, a crab grabbed the tag line,
taking it some 20 ft down into the earth toward his/her domicile.  Other
creatures presented other challenges but that's another story.  After retrieving
the rope from the crab, we managed to hoist 2 TA-33 tri-banders in Banyon trees
(one only 20 ft up and the other at 55 ft).  The balance of the antenna
compliment was slopers for 40 and 80, a half wave dipole for 160 at 50 ft. and a
full wave 80 meter loop.  Amps were SB-220 and Dentron Clipperton.  Rigs were a
pair of Kenwood TS-570s.  There were no beverages in use because of physical
space limitations, however, a receiving loop provided some limited benefit.

As you can see, this is a modest station setup.  The composition of the group
ranges from beginning contester and incrementally beyond.  A potential ham from
Nashville, TN participated with the group for 4 days preceding the contest in
hope that someday we would recruit a new member into the amateur community.

The goal of the group is well established and made clear to guest ops before
being invited, and that is, first and foremost.....have fun.  Total score,
ranking and rate is irrelevent to the group as a whole, but matters to some as
the interest in knowing this varies from operator to operator.

We did experience some 200+ rate hours and did almost double the score of the
group from last year.  While that was fun and exciting, we immersed ourselves in
the Costa Rican culture, met very kind talented people, ate well, had an ample
supply of cold Imperial cerveza and met a new friend (TI2KAC - Carlos), who
we'll see again this coming year at Dayton.

While I personally have always equated "fun" with winning or a top ten finish,
this was a refreshing and enjoyable change for me, despite the challenges of
nature.  It was my pleasure to share in this experience with this group of fine
gentlemen and give me a greater appreciation for the blessings that we have here
at home.

On behalf of the group, 73'......Fred WW4LL