[3830] CQWW SSB D44TD(IV3TAN) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, a.annesi@libero.it
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB D44TD(IV3TAN) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:23:27 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: D44TD
Operator(s): IV3TAN
Station: D44TD

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Cape Verde
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 4655    40      170
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Marconi Contest Club

Comments:

About one month before the contest i was very happy. Very bad propagation on
high bands 10 and 15 meters. I really thought that the All Time Score on 20
meters were possible after that PY5CC@PY0FM set the All Time Score more than 10
years ago.
But Mr. SUN didn't agree with my opinions. HI!

A couple of weeks before the contest i bought a "new" (second hand) antenna
system Hy Gain 204BA to replace the couple of Force 13 C3 that we have in Cape
Verde. I shipped the antennas with the UPS carrier but.... the antennas never
arrived in Cape Verde and right now the antennas are in... Dakar Senegal!!!

A very very hard work waited me before the contest. Fortunately Andrea IV3SKB
(IU3X) travelled with me to Cape Verde and he helped me a lot instead to take a
sun in the beautiful Santa Maria beach (i repayed him because in the days before
the contest he worked a lot of impressive pile-up on RTTY and on CW in WARC 12,
17 and 30 meters band).

Like i've just written before, the work was incredible hard. After a few months
that the station wasn't used the condition of antennas, rotors and connectors
were disastrous. A mix of salt and sand were everywhere.
In the end i operate with three different antennas in three different directions
simoultaneously. All antennas were fixed because the rotors...didn't rotate
hi!
Tower 1
3 el. on 20 Force 12 C19XR to EU direction @ 70 ft.
2 el. on 20 Force 12 C3 to Asia-VK direction @ 46 ft.
Tower 2
2 el. on 20 Force 12 C3 to USA direction @ 60 ft.

In the first three hours of the contest the pile-up was quite good with about
850 qso. One hour after the sunrise i logged 1850 qso but from 9 UTC to 17 UTC i
made.... 250 ... twohundredfifty QSO !!!!! Yes Mr SUN opened the high bands and
nobody listened to Africa directions on 20 during the day.
I ended the first 24 hours with exactely 3000 QSO but weren't enough. My
personal target to beat the All Time Score was at least 3500 QSO.
The priopagation during second day was worse than the first day. Very very
difficoult to me worked the Asian multipliers during the day and always during
the daylight, from time to time i spent dozens of minutes to call without any
reply.
In the end of the contest my CT showed 8 hours of time off but only 4 hours were
real (where i switched off the station to resolve my stomach problems).
I ended the contest with more than 4850 qso but about 200 qso were double.
About 500 qso and 3 mults are missing to reach the old all time score.
Will Mr. SUN partecipate with me in a M/S 20 meters next time???

Many thanks to all for the contest qso.

73
de IV3TAN - D44TD