[3830] SS CW N2CU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N2CU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:51:39 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   88
   40:  178
   20:  136
   15:   47
   10:   51
------------

Club: WNYDXA

Comments:

I had every intention of operating full time QRP and going for the section
record. Friday night I just couldn't get to sleep. Saturday was a work outside
day with the cold wind blowing. You know how that saps the energy out of your
body. A half hour before the bell, my wife tells me the clothes dryer stopped
working. Figuring the handy guy I am I could fix it in time, I dug into it. Two
hours later I declared it dead along with my plans for this years running of SS
CW. Drat! I did get on but the motivation was gone, especially when thinking
about the Sunday doldrums and already being 100 Q's behind everyone else. I also
knew I had to take my son to a hockey game Sunday afternoon so to get 24 hours
in I would have to pull an all-nighter. I've done it before but never when I was
this tired or disappointed. I poop out early and operate in bits and pieces
Sunday morning. While having a good run on 40m somebody turned out the lights at
about 1600Z. Wait a minute, I know what this is. It happened last year during SS
CW too! Found two of my local friends and chatted with them about what must have
been a solar flare and then checked out the other bands. Suprisingly, 10, 15 and
20 were still in good shape and I trodded on. Took a break to watch football
(the Bills won, yay!)and then off to hockey. On the way home from the game I was
treated to a spectacular show by Mother Nature at 6:45PM. The sky was
illuminated with the best display of northern lights I ever saw from my
location. It was awesome. Oh boy, I can't wait to hear what the bands sound
like. Got on for 50 of the toughest QSO's I ever had to make to reach 500.
Missed Ak, Wy, Qc and Pac although I didn't try hard at getting mults.

Well, my goal has to wait yet another year. But next time I'll make sure to get
a good night's rest and to pray for no solar flares or appliance failures.

73,
Tom N2CU <><