[3830] SS CW N4GN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4gn@n4gn.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N4GN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:52:25 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  344
   40:  524
   20:  299
   15:   56
   10:   29
------------

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Despite not having made a single improvement to the station (or the operator!),
my goal going into this one was to better my personal record (1260 x 80 in
2001).  Alas, I fell a bit short.

I slept for four hours and had 1:40 in off-time left when I got back to the
radio Sunday morning.  My plan was to take that in two or three short breaks
Sunday afternoon.  But when the flare came a little before 1600Z, I figured I'd
take 30 minutes to let it calm down.  As I watched it on the SEL web site, I
could see it was going to be a while, so I changed my plan and took all my
remaining off time.  That meant I had to stay in the chair for the last 9+ hours
straight.  Ugh!  Looking back, I'm not sure if that was the right call or not.

The propagation was really fun.  OH5BM dropped by during the brief period when I
was CQing on 10 (around 1900Z) to tell me I was 599 in Finland.  The flare
really deadened the band quickly.  When stations like WX0B and K5TR are puny
weak here in Kentucky, it's time to take a break!  Then the aurora actually
helped fill in some of the skip zone holes on the higher bands Sunday evening.
At one point, 15 actually sounded like 6 meters during a good AU opening.

The sweep came early this year (0721Z).  Would you believe N4OGW (MS) was my
last mult?!  And my only MS, for that matter.  Thanks, Torsten!  VY1JA was easy
on 40 on the second radio (only 450 Watts).  I think it took me two calls.

Most importantly, thanks to Joana for letting me play this weekend, and for all
the terrific food during the contest!

73,

Tim Totten, N4GN
n4gn@n4gn.com