[3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:57:45 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  134
   40:  349
   20:  320
   15:  445
   10:   46
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Being hooked up to Telnet adds another dimension to this contest,
and makes Sunday much more enjoyable. You can find
a few additional "fresh meat" QSO's (~20?), and the added technology
gives you more toys to play with. It's fun to change the run radio
to another band, then "run the board" on the bandmap, then move the
run radio back again.

The combination of so2r and Telnet is especially interesting.
Since you are always in S&P mode with so2r, you get to originate
quite a few Telnet spots. The spots are posted instantly, not like
the old 300 baud packet days. So you get to hear the S&P station
before the posting, and, if you linger just a bit, you can hear him
after he has been "outted" on Telnet. What a difference! Stations with
a low qso number, who had been struggling to get answers to their
cq's, are suddenly deluged with a huge pileup! Fun for everybody!

I had the NOAA X-Ray Flux Monitor
( http://sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html )
running full screen on another computer, and took a half-hour break
when I saw the X-class flare occur. That may not have been a good
choice, because conditions were even worse later on in the
evening.

I accidentally gave my old homebrew amplifier a pretty good smoke test
after the contest. When you use two serial ports for keying with TR-log,
radio B is key-down when the program loads. I've known for years that
that behavior was going to bite me one day, and it finally happened.
I reentered the program after the contest, and the TS-850 and homebrew
amp were keyed down at 1500 watts into the KT-34XA for several minutes!
Finally, I noticed heat radiating onto my face from the (3) 3-500Z's,
and shut it down. There seem to be no ill effects from that fiasco.
Fortunately, the correct antenna was selected, and the amp was
tuned! I've got to write another note to Tree about that one. Even
the Dunestar survived.

It continues to amaze me how much fun one can have
with a tribander and shorty-forty at 50 foot height.

See you in two weeks.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.