[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:43:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  281
   40:  229
   20:  124
   15:   82
   10:   60
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Wow, there just nothing like CW Sweepstakes.
I was fortunate to be able participate full
time again this year.

The contest started out rough.  I was unprepared
and heavily distracted the week prior.  It took
about six hours of operating before my head was
even in the game.  By that time, most of my fellow
QRP competitors were well ahead of me.  I don't
know if I caught to them or not in the end. Add
one more QSO if W1AW and W1AW/90 count separately;
I worked both.

It was a real thrill to make the sweep with QRP
for the first time.  A QSO with VY1JA at 23:12z
the first night was key.  J was having some kind
of keyer trouble, or the conditions were really
playing havoc with the signal.  Thanks J for the
many repeats that were required even though signals
were strong.  I felt very lucky to work VO1TA and
KH6NF for what were probably the next toughest mults.
I never did break the massive 50 WPM pileup on KH7X,
but it was fun trying. What a classic monster SS
pileup that was.

Eighty meters the first night was just amazing.
It may have been the best I've ever hear the band
in a domestic contest.  KL7WV answered my 5W CQ!
My worst mistake was that I messed up and lost 24
minutes of operating time trying to repair a flaky
A/B switch. I should have waited six more minutes
and made it a full off time.  Live and learn. At least
two stations called and then disappeared without ever
sending an enchange -- never to be from heard again.

I made 247 band changes.  Conditions were such that
the "best" band varied constantly. Line noise was
a problem Sunday AM, but not as much of a problem
as the bad key clickers and QRG thieves.  I held my
ground amazingly well considering I was running QRP.
If I had a good QRG, I fought hard to keep it. It was
hard to believe that there was another X-class flare
during SS Sunday AM this year.  Watching the 1-minute
GOES data while contesting has been really interesting.
There was a strong aurora sound on signals until the end.

Thanks for the QSOs and the fun.  GO TCG!
C U on phone from the K4JNY multi-op.

73

-Kirk  K4RO